AFTERMARKET hoods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a newb question for the guys running the cowl hoods. Especially the 4" ones.

How do you stop the snow from entering the rear raised section of the hood? Isn't the distributor under that hole?

I know that when I brush the snow off my windshield or just use the wipers to clear the snow, the bottom of my windshield where the wiper arms are gets jammed packed with 2x or 3x the snowfall, that has to be scraped off. I would think that if there is a 4" hole that drops this snow onto the dizzy, that would be a bad thing.

Not ever owning a cowled hood, IDK, is there a little one way rubber flapper that opens to let out heat, but closes against rain/snow?

I've always liked the looks of them, but always thought about the snow, so I've never done it.

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ good question...I'd like to know this as well.

tri94sbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a mesh opening with a little over hang on the top edge and seems to clean off easily when it snows. I keep it brushed off during those times and in addition my engine runs 20 to 25 degrees cooler about 165. There is a lot of room for the goodies I plan on putting on top of the motor.(some day)cowl2.jpg

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a mesh opening with a little over hang on the top edge and seems to clean off easily when it snows. I keep it brushed off during those times and in addition my engine runs 20 to 25 degrees cooler about 165. There is a lot of room for the goodies I plan on putting on top of the motor.(some day)

Perfect! Thanks for the pic! I don't think snow would be much of an issue after all. I was wondering about that for many years....

Looks like that 4" has plenty of room for goodies!

OP
OP

86mk7

Reaction score
Picked my new hood up this weekend. Found a fiber glass heat extractor and a mesh center grille with billet gmc letters.

Now a quick question. I need to warp the hood a lil to git better. Any idea on how to do.this.

OP
OP

86mk7

Reaction score
Any body have any idea how to warp the hood a lil on both sides to fit better.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really an easy way to do it if you can't get it right with the latch and bump stop adjustment. you can't really "warp" fiberglass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Burgy