Air Conditioning Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've began to have issues with my A/C as of recent. About three weeks ago, my air conditioner stopped working, presumably because of lack of freon (only warm air would blow and the snowflake would flash three times before turning off). Since I couldn't get the compressor to kick on in order to charge the system, I took the truck to Pepboys, who charged me $390 stating that I needed a new belt, as well as two new valves (stated that the old ones were leaking). From the moment I left, I didn't feel that the air was blowing as cold as it should, but assumed that it was just me overthinking it. Fast forward to four days ago, the air conditioner stopped working, again... Before it completely stopped working (before the snowflake would blink three times and not allow the compressor to kick on), I could here an occasional hissing noise in the rear cargo area, it wasn't constant, but it could be heard about every 30 seconds. I don't know if this is relevant information, but the rear climate control in my vehicle hasn't worked in 4 years, the display will turn on, but no air blows through the vents. I just haven't fixed it bc I hardly have anyone utilize the rear seats, and I don't want to take it to a dealer out of warranty.

My question is, what is going on? Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just lucky like that? Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see here in arizona when we have AC issues well pay just about anything to get it fixed like right freakin now and we dont leave the dam shop till it blows nice cold AC

OP
OP
R_Sharpe

R_Sharpe

VIP
Reaction score
see here in arizona when we have AC issues well pay just about anything to get it fixed like right freakin now and we dont leave the dam shop till it blows nice cold AC

Generally I wouldn't either, but I was rather busy that day, as I usually always am. As such, I'm not someone who can just drop my car off until the shop decides to get it fixed. I have to fit vehicular maintenance into my schedule whenever possible, not just whenever something is working at 100%. Being that the Tahoe is my only vehicle, I can't really just drop it off and be without transportation, and being under 21, renting a vehicle isn't an option. But thanks for the value you added to this post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14SWTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally I wouldn't either, but I was rather busy that day, as I usually always am. As such, I'm not someone who can just drop my car off until the shop decides to get it fixed. I have to fit vehicular maintenance into my schedule whenever possible, not just whenever something is working at 100%. Being that the Tahoe is my only vehicle, I can't really just drop it off and be without transportation, and being under 21, renting a vehicle isn't an option. But thanks for the value you added to this post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 04 avalanche had some issues similar to this, would blow cold then all of a sudden start blowing hot. Turn the truck off then on and blows cold. Ended up being the clutch was bad and when it disengaged would never reengage.

When it blows hot, pull over, restart and see what that does. For whatever reason this seems to reengage the clutch. Eventually this stops working as well.

Last edited:

Bsgiffor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try throwing it in reverse when clutch won't let it reengage. Similar to restarting car, just gives it a jolt and reengages mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've began to have issues with my A/C as of recent. About three weeks ago, my air conditioner stopped working, presumably because of lack of freon (only warm air would blow and the snowflake would flash three times before turning off). Since I couldn't get the compressor to kick on in order to charge the system, I took the truck to Pepboys, who charged me $390 stating that I needed a new belt, as well as two new valves (stated that the old ones were leaking). From the moment I left, I didn't feel that the air was blowing as cold as it should, but assumed that it was just me overthinking it. Fast forward to four days ago, the air conditioner stopped working, again... Before it completely stopped working (before the snowflake would blink three times and not allow the compressor to kick on), I could here an occasional hissing noise in the rear cargo area, it wasn't constant, but it could be heard about every 30 seconds. I don't know if this is relevant information, but the rear climate control in my vehicle hasn't worked in 4 years, the display will turn on, but no air blows through the vents. I just haven't fixed it bc I hardly have anyone utilize the rear seats, and I don't want to take it to a dealer out of warranty.

My question is, what is going on? Has anyone else experienced this, or am I just lucky like that? Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

I am having this exact problem! Started with hissing noise from rear cargo area every time the compressor would kick on. Then started not getting cold air then snowflake would blink 3 times and turn off. What I am thinking is going on is that there was a leak in that cargo area side panel and caused the system to lose pressure and the compressor hopefully realized this low pressure and would shut itself off to not cause damage to itself. I am going to take off the side panel and look for that leak then recharge the AC and see if it will work.

To save me some trouble and time did you get yours fixed? I was going to just wait till the spring but its still 70 degrees down here in Louisiana...

Boyntonx2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a leak in the lines, easy way to tell is to buy the refill kit that has a pressure Guage on it, fill it to the right pressure and the watch the guage, it will start going down almost immediately if there's a leak

Boyntonx2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those lines do rust out, the ones in my 07 suburban were rusted out when i bought it in 2013 but I didn't think to check the ac in November lol, the dealer ended up replacing them for me and gave me a deal since I bought the truck in november and realized the problem when I went to first use it that next spring.

sppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Those lines do rust out, the ones in my 07 suburban were rusted out when i bought it in 2013 but I didn't think to check the ac in November lol, the dealer ended up replacing them for me and gave me a deal since I bought the truck in november and realized the problem when I went to first use it that next spring.
Your lines in the rear cargo area were rusted out? I knew I had a leak back there, im going to take it apart this weekend. I'll keep you updated thanks for responding.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk