Air leak, brand-new Yukon Denali, Black Edition 22"s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsw3010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purchased this vehicle in Aug. 2018. Shortly after taking delivery I noticed a slight loss of air on the right front tire. I removed the wheel and checked all possible areas, not leakage found. Thinking there may have been some dirt or other debris in the stem area, I watched and checked same very often. I would bring any loss up to proper PSI. I only had about 1600 miles on the vehicle when I started a trip which required highway speeds. I hadn't been into the trip more than ten miles when my right began losing air quickly. I was able to get off the road and get back to the dealer. They couldn't find a leak until the wheel was submerged and the stem was wiggled. Replacement of the stem solved the immediate problem. I resumed the trip, and about 300 hundred miles into same, the left from began dropping air. I nursed the vehicle back home and made another appointment. The valve stem was changed and I'm back in business.
After numerous conversations with wheel and tire knowledgeable individuals, the general consensus is that the stem is not the correct size. My dealer uses the vin. to determine the proper stem.
This GMC Denali is a Black Edition, special 22" wheels and tires are provided by GMC and they are dealer installed. They are shipped to the dealer, tires on and placed on the vehicle. My guess is, somewhere in the switching out of the wheels, a mistake in stem size has occurred. My interest is finding out if any other owners of a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali Black Edition have experienced this problem. Thank You Dave

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased this vehicle in Aug. 2018. Shortly after taking delivery I noticed a slight loss of air on the right front tire. I removed the wheel and checked all possible areas, not leakage found. Thinking there may have been some dirt or other debris in the stem area, I watched and checked same very often. I would bring any loss up to proper PSI. I only had about 1600 miles on the vehicle when I started a trip which required highway speeds. I hadn't been into the trip more than ten miles when my right began losing air quickly. I was able to get off the road and get back to the dealer. They couldn't find a leak until the wheel was submerged and the stem was wiggled. Replacement of the stem solved the immediate problem. I resumed the trip, and about 300 hundred miles into same, the left from began dropping air. I nursed the vehicle back home and made another appointment. The valve stem was changed and I'm back in business.
After numerous conversations with wheel and tire knowledgeable individuals, the general consensus is that the stem is not the correct size. My dealer uses the vin. to determine the proper stem.
This GMC Denali is a Black Edition, special 22" wheels and tires are provided by GMC and they are dealer installed. They are shipped to the dealer, tires on and placed on the vehicle. My guess is, somewhere in the switching out of the wheels, a mistake in stem size has occurred. My interest is finding out if any other owners of a 2018 GMC Yukon Denali Black Edition have experienced this problem. Thank You Dave
If you spray soapy solution around the stem it will bubble if the leak is there. The leaking during road trips reminds me of an aluminum wheel we had on a new ambulance 30 years ago. It would only leak once the wheel temp elevated from harsh driving. Suspected hairline crack and was replaced.

OP
OP
D

dsw3010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you spray soapy solution around the stem it will bubble if the leak is there. The leaking during road trips reminds me of an aluminum wheel we had on a new ambulance 30 years ago. It would only leak once the wheel temp elevated from harsh driving. Suspected hairline crack and was replaced.
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of this possibility of a hairline crack in the wheel (wheels). When I pulled the wheel, looking for the leak, I was unable to see anything. Another fact is, when they changed the first stem, the problem was solved. The jury is still out on the second stem on the left front. I have thought that the harsh driving and high speeds have been a contributing factor. As small as this issue is, the two leaks on this trip caused a lot of grief. Looking for air at various exits along the interstate is not fun. In over 50 years of driving and a job requiring driving, I have never experienced such a stressful 1,000 miles . One last thought, when the dealer replaces something small as a valve stem, they use the vin.# to identify the correct size. As I said before, these wheels were a change at the dealer to make-up this Limited Black Edition. A mix-up in the stem size could occur in this change. The wheels are shipped into the dealer, tires mounted and bolted on by the dealer. One other item that backs up your theory is, I haven't experienced any problems on the rear wheels. They only travel in a straight line as opposed to the front, twisting and turning and what-ever our steering tires do. No doubt, the front one take more abuse than the backs. Thanks again Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dsw3010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I am aware of this possibility of a hairline crack in the wheel (wheels). When I pulled the wheel, looking for the leak, I was unable to see anything. Another fact is, when they changed the first stem, the problem was solved. The jury is still out on the second stem on the left front. I have thought that the harsh driving and high speeds have been a contributing factor. As small as this issue is, the two leaks on this trip caused a lot of grief. Looking for air at various exits along the interstate is not fun. In over 50 years of driving and a job requiring driving, I have never experienced such a stressful 1,000 miles . One last thought, when the dealer replaces something small as a valve stem, they use the vin.# to identify the correct size. As I said before, these wheels were a change at the dealer to make-up this Limited Black Edition. A mix-up in the stem size could occur in this change. The wheels are shipped into the dealer, tires mounted and bolted on by the dealer. One other item that backs up your theory is, I haven't experienced any problems on the rear wheels. They only travel in a straight line as opposed to the front, twisting and turning and what-ever our steering tires do. No doubt, the front one take more abuse than the backs. Thanks again Dave

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a GM factory wheel. If so could you find one on cars.com or autotrader.com with those wheels and get the VIN number. Then call a GM dealer and ask for the part # for the valve stem using that VIN number. Then you would know for sure and rule that out. I had a Honda Accord with factory 19" special addition wheels with a slow leak. Took it to the Honda Dealer two times and said it was fixed both times. Was not fixed and took it to Tireplus in Orlando and talked to the Manager. His tech took the tire off the rim and found the UPC code sticker that came on the wheel located between the wheel and tire and that little sticker keep the tire from adhering to the rim in that particular small spot. Drove me crazy for a couple of months. Good luck, if you still have a problem don't give up even if they have to try a different rim.

OP
OP
D

dsw3010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this a GM factory wheel. If so could you find one on cars.com or autotrader.com with those wheels and get the VIN number. Then call a GM dealer and ask for the part # for the valve stem using that VIN number. Then you would know for sure and rule that out. I had a Honda Accord with factory 19" special addition wheels with a slow leak. Took it to the Honda Dealer two times and said it was fixed both times. Was not fixed and took it to Tireplus in Orlando and talked to the Manager. His tech took the tire off the rim and found the UPC code sticker that came on the wheel located between the wheel and tire and that little sticker keep the tire from adhering to the rim in that particular small spot. Drove me crazy for a couple of months. Good luck, if you still have a problem don't give up even if they have to try a different rim.

OP
OP
D

dsw3010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and ideas. Since buying the vehicle, I have been looking for the exact wheel and where it came from. I found a place in Fla. that appears to supply GM with wheels. O.E. Wheels or something like that. I have the site. Your thoughts give me some ideas. The fact that I lost air in two front tires within 24 hours says something. Possibility the parts mgr. at the dealer can shed some light on this issue. The dealer already is going to replace the right front wheel do to damage caused by the tech. when replacing the stem. I sure like the wheels, but they are causing some problems. Thanks again. Not to mislead you, that right front was giving issues right from the get go, small acts. of air loss, thought maybe a fluke or just dirt. Same turned into a big loss that cold morning on 79 North, and after a fix at the dealer, the left front started to drop about 300 or so miles into the trip.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a problem with one particular wheel. Any valve stem installed is soon leaking. Logic would dictate that there is a problem with the mounting hole for the valve stem. A bur from machining or the hole being misshapen is causing the seal to rapidly fail. The easiest fix is to replace the wheel. Or take the tire off, valve stem out and compare it to another and see if it can be easily fixed with files or sandpaper. If the hole is out of round, a machinist could make it true and install a sleeve to accept a standard valve stem again but in today's world, it's easier to throw it away and get another.

OP
OP
D

dsw3010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a problem with one particular wheel. Any valve stem installed is soon leaking. Logic would dictate that there is a problem with the mounting hole for the valve stem. A bur from machining or the hole being misshapen is causing the seal to rapidly fail. The easiest fix is to replace the wheel. Or take the tire off, valve stem out and compare it to another and see if it can be easily fixed with files or sandpaper. If the hole is out of round, a machinist could make it true and install a sleeve to accept a standard valve stem again but in today's world, it's easier to throw it away and get another.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925