Alternator Swap - AD244 145 amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
I swapped in a AD244 145 amp alternator on my 99 tahoe that came from a 2003 tahoe. It is a direct bolt on for the 96-00 vortec trucks and uses the same plug as the stock 105 amp alt. You'll also maybe need a tad longer belt with this alt. I've also read that these alternators are underrated and put out more than 145 amps.

My aftermarket 200 amp cs144 alt was giving me problems and I wanted something cheap and stock looking but around 140 amps. I got it for $40 shipped on ebay.

Pics:
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg

mikeykey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very nice. direct bolt on, sweet!

What belt length did you use then if its longer?

OP
OP
Whippled2dr

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
I'm using a Goodyear Gatorback part# 4060967 (I had laying around) which is 96.75" long and it barely fit. If you have a stock A/C compressor then you should be fine with that length. I have a Sanden A/C compressor and it requires a belt that is a little longer.

I don't mind it barely fitting for me because I'll be throwing my whipple back on and using a different belt.

OP
OP
Whippled2dr

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
i was going to say.... wheres your whipple. what happened to it?

Yea I took it off to do my hydroboost setup and also to port the outlet tube of the whipple. I'm also leaving it off until I finish with some paintwork (same color but repainting the whole truck and redoing some previous crappy bodywork done 8 years ago).

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
oo oo igotcha. well good luck to the paint job. did you do the Big 3 upgrade to your truck? i see some blue power wire, wasnt sure.... looks good tho!

OP
OP
Whippled2dr

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
oo oo igotcha. well good luck to the paint job. did you do the Big 3 upgrade to your truck? i see some blue power wire, wasnt sure.... looks good tho!

Yup. I did the big three a while back but I don't really have much stereo anymore (just an old alpine deck and old rockford amp for the boston pros. Yanked most of my stereo stuff out because I didn't want to worry anymore about someone breaking in and stealing everything.

OP
OP
Whippled2dr

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
yea i gotcha. whats your volt meter reading out now with the big 3 upgrade and the 140alternator?

13.9-14.0 volts. I want to get it higher closer to 14.4 V and I'm thinking that my 155K mile fuel pump might be the culprit. Its old age might be causing it to have a higher load on the electrical system. I have to run some tests to find out if I can improve the voltage.

The big 3 did help a good amount though. It brought the voltage from 13.3 to 13.9 V and has very few fluctuations.