Amp All Of A Sudden Shutting Off At High Volume?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, I never said it would shut off i said it could.

also, he didnt wire it wrong, he installed what the customer gave him to install. he just bought the wrong type of subs....

either subs or amp. Doesnt matter which you choose.

And you dont always have to match the manufacturers rating....

Ive seen 1 ohm stable amps play at .70 ohm all day no problem. just depends on the quality of the product....

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
also depends on impedance rise, set readings of each manufactures coils, box, power, voltage, etc,etc.
It's always on the safer side daily, to follow what the manufacture recommends. If someone plays down to .5 ohm and wonders why they blow stuff up, they surely can't blame the manufacture.....

I just agreed, his INSTALLER wired it incorrectly. :D

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think something is being overlooked here. Brandon stated in his first post that his "amp light shuts off". If the amp loses power and turns off, then it's a power issue, not an impedance issue. An impedance issue will shut down the output of the amplifier (or fry transistors if the amp doesnt have a low impedance protection circuitry). Subs dropping below the ohm load of its rating can temporarily shut down the audio output circuit, but not the amp's power supply circuit. The power light turning off on the amp during high volume suggests that the issue is a voltage drop somewhere. Problems like these are usually either a grounding issue or a voltage drop at the fuse holder. 99% of the troubleshooting I do for this exact same case is due to some sort of bad connection somewhere, usually at the fuse holder or the grounding point.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree Jeff, the amp has a power light and a protection light, he may be mistaken which one is on. But agree 100%, could be voltage, but wired to 1 ohm, for sure will shut it down at higher volumes.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, I definitely agree the amp should be going into protect if the amp is seeing 1ohm.
But are we sure the amp is seeing a 1ohm load? If the subs are DVC 4, then the coils on each sub can be wired in series, bringing it to 8 ohms. With both subs at 8 ohms and wired parallel to each other, that would present a 4 ohm load at the amp. If he's been playing his system as hard as he claims for a long while now, then normally the amp should have been going into protect a while back if it was seeing a 1 ohm load. That leads me to believe he may have the coils wired in series and the subs parallel. That would bring us back to the voltage drop issue:) Did I make sense?

OP
OP
Brandon X

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have mentioned that the amp light shuts off and the protection light comes in. Sorry about leaving that out.

I think I probably should sell these subs and buy 2 CVR 2 ohms. I think that would fix the problem because it's not wired correctly and I don't want to mess up my amp or subs in the long run.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. Just to make sure though im gonna have him check everything out and if the voltage and everything is alright then im going with the new CVR's.

Last edited:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
makes total sense, if he had another guy wire it up, no offense at Brandon at all, is some installers feel "if 2 ohm is good, 1 ohm is perfect" when in all reality it may not work. May work for a quick burp on a competition vehicle, but not on a daily user. there's a couple ways he could have wired the coils in the box, no telling.
But Brandon, if you make sure you have good voltage at the amp, a good solid ground and run it at 2 ohm daily, you'll be fine.
Some of the ZX's are picky, I've seen some ZX2500.1's run below 1 ohm daily, but really good voltage,etc. So some are more picky than others :D

2drhoeon4s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah could be voltage issue also. If it is wired at 1ohm you have been lucky the amp has held up this long....get a multimeter and test the voltage full listening volume AT THE AMP....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulpen