Another gas mileage thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Got back this week from my work trip to our property in the mountains. ~400 mile trip with 2 fat guys and a truck full of tree-cutting gear, I got 18.7 mpg! :party33: Hell yeah! That was about half back road and half interstate.

Of course, we had to haul ass home and run lmost nothing but interstate, and dropped the mpg to 16.9. No too damn bad. I'm pretty happy with that, for what I've got.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats ridiculous i dont get that goin downhill with the truck off :emotions122:

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats ridiculous i dont get that goin downhill with the truck off :emotions122:

And neither does most. I love it when guys post this crap. How can a truck get more mpg then advertised on a window sticker (16mpg)??? I never owned a car that got more mpg then sticker! And im talking 25+ cars 75% were new. I think people's math skills are not as sharp as they think. JMHO

So with the numbers you provided you drove 400 miles with 3/4 of a tank?? I dont care how skinny your tires are its not happening!

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ultra-Gauge is accurate to within about .5 mpg and holding at 75 mph I get 20 mpg. But then again, ported TB and manifold spacer, etc.

My vette is rated at 28 highway but I get 31 at 80 mph. Headers , rockers, etc.

Less speed and it is even better. So when some say blah blah mpg, it depends on what speed....55 or 75 mph. At 55 the truck gets 25 mpg and the vette gets ~48 mpg.

Trippers99hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And neither does most. I love it when guys post this crap. How can a truck get more mpg then advertised on a window sticker (16mpg)??? I never owned a car that got more mpg then sticker! And im talking 25+ cars 75% were new. I think people's math skills are not as sharp as they think. JMHO

So with the numbers you provided you drove 400 miles with 3/4 of a tank?? I dont care how skinny your tires are its not happening!

Getting great mpg on a highway trip is not impossible or hard to do.
I have got 18mpg in my tahoe,on vacation(all highway cruise set@65mph)
But the same tahoe gets 12 to 13 mpg just driving around the area (mixed driving) just for kicks 400miles @25 gallons of gas =16mpg.....I am no math major.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ultra-Gauge is accurate to within about .5 mpg and holding at 75 mph I get 20 mpg. But then again, ported TB and manifold spacer, etc.

My vette is rated at 28 highway but I get 31 at 80 mph. Headers , rockers, etc.

Less speed and it is even better. So when some say blah blah mpg, it depends on what speed....55 or 75 mph. At 55 the truck gets 25 mpg and the vette gets ~48 mpg.

First off the only way to clock mileage is to fill the tank, drive & clock the mileage, then refill and do the math. You cannot use stand alone units. Or instant mileage features on the dash. There were times that my Acura was showing 40+ mpg on the dash when in reality is was about half.

Back to the ultra guage, how do you know its within 1/2 mpg? Im assuming thats sarcasm when you say @ 55mph your tahoe gets 25mpg??

OP
OP
Vanilla Gorilla
Reaction score

You can insist I'm a liar if you want. Of course, you can also ***, too.

My math skills are not suspect, unless you think a calculator is incapable of simple division. Around town, I'm getting 12-13 most of the time, so I'm quite happy to see a considerable impovement on the highway.

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Getting great mpg on a highway trip is not impossible or hard to do.
I have got 18mpg in my tahoe,on vacation(all highway cruise set@65mph)
But the same tahoe gets 12 to 13 mpg just driving around the area (mixed driving) just for kicks 400miles @25 gallons of gas =16mpg.....I am no math major.

As said, half of my trip was backroads at 60-65 mph, and the other half was interstate with the cruise set around 75.

19Yukon97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 15.5 mixed. ( i have electric fans, upgraded mpfi, k&n filter, and a few other things, oh and 265/75/16 all terrain tires) just highway i get 22mpg at 65 and 19.5-20 at 70. kinda rude of the dude to be jumping all over people... maybe your the one that cant divide right... i can get 450-500 miles out a full tank. if you dont believe us bro then like the guy said. ***. we know how to do math. with proper air pressure and maintenance it can be done. No not 45mpg like a prius or some shit like that... but yea its possible to get 18-20. my dads 2500HD duramax gets 24mpg and thats hand calculated, the computer on the truck says 19... buddies dodge gets 28mpg hand calculated, it can be done, sometimes its just a few things you gotta put together to get (and money in some cases)

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 15.5 mixed. ( i have electric fans, upgraded mpfi, k&n filter, and a few other things, oh and 265/75/16 all terrain tires) just highway i get 22mpg at 65 and 19.5-20 at 70. kinda rude of the dude to be jumping all over people... maybe your the one that cant divide right... i can get 450-500 miles out a full tank. if you dont believe us bro then like the guy said. ***. we know how to do math. with proper air pressure and maintenance it can be done. No not 45mpg like a prius or some shit like that... but yea its possible to get 18-20. my dads 2500HD duramax gets 24mpg and thats hand calculated, the computer on the truck says 19... buddies dodge gets 28mpg hand calculated, it can be done, sometimes its just a few things you gotta put together to get (and money in some cases)

First off who is jumping on anyone? I simply stated IMO that its ******** to get that type of mileage out of a stock 4 door tahoe. My family has owned numerous OBS nevermind all my buddy's who owned these things since way back. Not one of us have ever gotten 18+mpg. What does youys dad's duramax or your friends dodge have to do with this thread?? Were talking about tahoes/yukons/escalades not anything else.

My comment about math was off the hip. Many think they know what there mileage is by "guesstimating" or imo dreaming. Most have no clur I seen it a hundred times. Didnt mean to imply anything negative about anyone. But you on the other hand is another story. If your truck gets 19.5-22mpg that would mean you would get around 600-660 miles per tank. DF!

But in all reality you probably rite when you say you only get 450-500 to a tank that comes out to be a tad under 17mpg which is about rite for a 2 door yukon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968