any tips on changin the #8 spark plug???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07lt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to get out the #8 plug out of my 07 tahoe?

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......what he said and take off the passenger side front wheel to get easier access

Ponch

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have a 2009 Suburban. I left it in to tackle it another day. Whoever designed this vehicle should be taught a lesson as it were. That said, I'll try taking the fender liner out and the wheel off. The thing is, the AC lines and the firewall make it a real tight fit. It's a very stupid design.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep...fender liner out, a couple swivels and extensions, patience and focus is key. It's a huge PITA to do. I did mine last spring. Too me a half hour to do 1-7 and about 2 hours for #8....

clay101

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'd imagine you've got it out by now, i have a 07 Yukon XL with the 6.2L and i was able to get mine from underneath, burnt myself a few times on exhaust as it was still hot :Stupid Me:

monolith092068

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tahoe Spark Plug #8 Tip

Like others I struggled to figure it out - but here's what worked quite well.

Problem: My 3" socket extension was too long and I just couldn't reach that bugger from the underside, and I was determined not to take off the fender liner.

So here's what worked -->

I started with a 3/8" drive spark plug socket, then "attached" a 3/4" shallow socket to the hex top of the spark plug socket. I used some electrical tape to fix them together. This gives you a very short "extension" that actually fits between the A/C components and the exhaust manifold. It takes some reaching, but you can get the socket onto the plug first, then attach the rachet onto it and actually have room for about 1/4 turns.

I did the other 7 in about an hour, #8 using this method only took about 15 minutes. No crawling underneath, no wheel removal, no skinned knuckles.

12rtstp953

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From the top with snap on swivel socket...fits perfect

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Forgot to add... Make sure engine is cold...manifolds stay hot for awhile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3