Anybody know what could cause this wheel scratching?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing on the wheel. The black is under the chrome.

It's possible somebody had tar on the wheels before you and used a type of acid cleaner to remove it. While it removed the tar its possible it removed the coating as well. Especially if it was only on 2 wheels.
Knowing that’s it’s “under the surface” so to speak I’d venture a guess that it’s the chrome surface pitting off. It’s very common with GM chrome wheels.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If those are chrome alloy wheels and not chromed plastic clad wheels you are safe to take some gum out carb cleaner on a rag to that. Chrome is not laid over black. That looks like tar to me.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
If those are chrome alloy wheels and not chromed plastic clad wheels you are safe to take some gum out carb cleaner on a rag to that. Chrome is not laid over black. That looks like tar to me.
Or possibly black paint.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these black spots raised or do they make an indentation in the chrome? That might help narrow it down if it's flaking or something sitting on the surface.

OP
OP
2010GMCYD

2010GMCYD

Reaction score
I assumed these were chrome alloy but maybe not (I'm not knowledgeable enough about the difference in wheel types). Here's a better pic of the issue. It's definitely not tar or a substance over the chrome. It's chipping or scraping off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-30 092832.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-30 092832.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
2010GMCYD

2010GMCYD

Reaction score
I assumed chrome alloy too but the other pic makes me think not. They might be painted.
Maybe the other 2 wheels that are fine ARE alloy. So how do you get paint to look like chrome? I thought that was almost impossible.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It looks like those might be polished alloy wheels that have been “repaired”. By an aftermarket company.

Please take more photos of the wheels for us.
how long have you owned the truck and where did you buy it?