Anyone replaced their unused spare tire due to age?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I replace my 4 regular tires I put "the best old one" on the spare. In turn this gives me an excuse to drop the spare and check things out with the spare itself, the winch assembly and underbody. Always touch up the frame with a rattle can while it is out too to fight any surface rust.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I replace my 4 regular tires I put "the best old one" on the spare. In turn this gives me an excuse to drop the spare and check things out with the spare itself, the winch assembly and underbody. Always touch up the frame with a rattle can while it is out too to fight any surface rust.
I do 5 tire rotations on mine now, to ensure the spare is equally used.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do 5 tire rotations on mine now, to ensure the spare is equally used.
If my spare rim matched the other PPV wheels I would do this. No wheel sensor issues once you relearn the 4 active wheels right?

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my spare rim matched the other PPV wheels I would do this. No wheel sensor issues once you relearn the 4 active wheels right?
both of my PPVs had matching spare wheels.

No issues at all with all 5 wheels having sensors. On the GMT900, there’s no reason to even relearn. On the K2, it’s smart enough to know the spare is on the ground after 10-15 miles, so yes on relearning.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just rotated my tires this past weekend and did the relearn with that Amazon thingy. If I can just drive it and hell with it that would be a nice option. Just curious.

OP
OP
EddieC

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now there's an idea. I might have to get my spare out from under the vinyl cover where it's keeping company with the firewood.