Anyone replaced their unused spare tire due to age?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 9 Bridgestones, myself...
I thought I had it figured out and staggered all 3 of my trucks tire purchases.... well with my job change came a drop in travel mileage change. Then my daughter went to college so and increase in mileage change. And the Tahoe stayed the same.... so it looks like all 3 will end up needing tires around the same time. And the crazy part is my work trucks 15s are getting ridiculously priced anymore.
As to the spare carrier, I have been wanting to get a setup from an early 90s ford truck and trying to adapt to the chevy frame. I mean it is basically two weldnuts on the frame and threaded rod on one end of a steel bar and an Eye-bolt on the other end. No fancy dancy cable winch system. Or combine them by taking all the safeties out of the cable system and use the bolted bar system to keep it safely secure.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my son probably shouldn't rely on this spare with his 06? Took us about an hour to get that safety catch figured out and unhooked. Hate to think going through this in a rain storm at the side of the road. Not one of GM's better ideas. Couple pictures of the brand new tire, see the mold fingers still on the tread.
boes spare tire wheel f.jpgboes spare tire tread.jpg

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tom3's son's spare tire from the mid-noughties gives me two ideas:

If your vehicle is 2WD:
when you buy 2 or 4 new tires to replace your old ones,
take the best / least-worn of the ones you've been using,
replace the spare with that one, so that way your spare is always under 6 years old.

If your vehicle is AWD or 4WD, one way or another, you'll rotate tires more often.
Maybe research a 5-tire rotation pattern, and use that?
Can't think of another way to be sure the spare's circumference is close enough
to the same as the other 4 tires' circumferences.
Think it's a bad idea to put a freshly-tread tire and an old tire on the same 4WD axle.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tom3's son's spare tire from the mid-noughties gives me two ideas:

If your vehicle is 2WD:
when you buy 2 or 4 new tires to replace your old ones,
take the best / least-worn of the ones you've been using,
replace the spare with that one, so that way your spare is always under 6 years old.

If your vehicle is AWD or 4WD, one way or another, you'll rotate tires more often.
Maybe research a 5-tire rotation pattern, and use that?
Can't think of another way to be sure the spare's circumference is close enough
to the same as the other 4 tires' circumferences.
Think it's a bad idea to put a freshly-tread tire and an old tire on the same 4WD axle.
Only one problem with a 5 tire rotation. If you have alloy wheels you will have a mismatched set of rims with the steelie spare.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only one problem with a 5 tire rotation. If you have alloy wheels you will have a mismatched set of rims with the steelie spare.
With the profits GM makes off each pickup truck & suv, you'd think they'd be kind enough
to include a proper matching 5th spare wheel & tire. But alas, billionaires are not rich enough ...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone replaced their unused spare tire due to age?
I did. Bought a 4th spare from a 2015 Silverado, same tire and wheel as my other three. Now we had 4 to do burnouts and donuts with. So my 15 year old spare is somewhere in the garage and the 9 year old spare is under my truck.

We run the hoist up and down twice a year, Independence Day and New Year's Day and regularly check the air pressure with each tire rotation. It seems to lose about 5 psi every 6 months.

Haven't needed to use one yet after twelve years and nearly 200,000 miles across three trucks.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the profits GM makes off each pickup truck & suv, you'd think they'd be kind enough
to include a proper matching 5th spare wheel & tire. But alas, billionaires are not rich enough ...
Waste of money, most folks haven't even run the hoist up and down since they bought it. I did this with my previous vehicles and actually used them. Thought about it with these trucks but they haven't even had to use their spare in 200K miles.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Like @swathdiver said, it is a waste of money. The spare is just that, a spare that may or may not ever hit the road. If it does, the OE wheel tire is fixed/replaced and bolted right back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968