Are motor mounts easy to replace with exhaust manifolds removed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m about to replace the crusty exhaust manifolds on my 07 Esky. I can see the drivers side one looks like it should be easy to replace with the manifold out? Is this correct, and if so is the passenger side also easy to remove with no manifolds to get in the way?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WITH manifolds I had to:
Remove starter and exhaust heatshield on passenger side
Remove steering shaft coupler and exhaust heatshield on driver side
NOT BAD

WITHOUT manifolds, MIGHT NOT need to do any of that.

Toughest thing is being able to see with the old motor mount heatshield in the way. (easily destroyed)
If you're able to replace the manifolds, you should have no problem with the motor mounts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What @mikez71 said. One thing to remember, you said crusty manifolds and that leads me to believe you live in a "salt on the roads state". Even without the salt, you need to be prepared for manifold attaching bolts to the heads, breaking off. If some of the bolt is still exposed you can then work with different methods for removal. If it breaks off flush with the head, you either drill out and deal with all that or leave it or remove the head(s). If the broken ones are at the ends, there are aftermarket clamp kits for them.

OP
OP
J

Jimxms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like I should get motor mounts ordered then.

Maybe I should order a clamp kit too for the manifolds just in case? Where can I find them?

I’ve got a map torch, helicoils and a welder in my arsenal, so hopefully I can deal with most eventualities that way.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Parts stores list the kits and can get at RA too. I found that the kit that fits the d/s rear also fits the p/s front and the kit that fits the p/s rear fits the d/s front.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like I should get motor mounts ordered then.

Maybe I should order a clamp kit too for the manifolds just in case? Where can I find them?

I’ve got a map torch, helicoils and a welder in my arsenal, so hopefully I can deal with most eventualities that way.

if you've got a mig welder, you'll be fine. I've removed a few but just tack some weld on it and unscrew it with pliers. mine of always come right out.

just make sure you disconnect the battery before welding anything

oh and if you haven't seen the motor mount thread above. the hummer mounts or aftermarket poly ones seem to be the only ones that last if you plan to keep it years.

frank1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I remove the front tires and inner plastic fenders to get at the manifolds, remove the MM bolts and jack up engine with floor jack and a piece of 2x4 under the oil pan, remove mounts. The last ones I did the SS mount heat shield broke, I just re-riveted it back in place with mount installed. I didnt remove the starter or steering shaft. This was a 02 Silverado 2500HD 4x4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Festerman