Audio System Upgrade Thread 04 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow what a project. I spent an hour looking at your build, like others on here I will be doing a system with a few minor changes. Those door speakers look like a lot of work so it was great being able to see what I have in store for me. These systems can take on a life of their own and so you have to be prepared for that. Thanks for taking the time to show us how much work it is to do this project.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Nice engine bay! all clean and gunk free. GJ! :worthy:

You guys are so lucky you dont have to deal with road salt.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jon - may be digging back in a little this weekend

Wow what a project. I spent an hour looking at your build, like others on here I will be doing a system with a few minor changes. Those door speakers look like a lot of work so it was great being able to see what I have in store for me. These systems can take on a life of their own and so you have to be prepared for that. Thanks for taking the time to show us how much work it is to do this project.

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

You guys are so lucky you dont have to deal with road salt.

Thanks Jon,

I may be doing a couple updates this weekend.

:grd:

I still need to program my steering wheel controls and make my wiring runs look cleaner, which means pulling my rear interior back apart.

It has been quite a project!! Tons of work.

BUT THIS SYSTEM CCCCRRRRAAAANNNNNKKKKSSSSS!! (it's powerful)

:waytogo:

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I'm glad your happy with it. So are you glad you didn't go with that little powered subwoofer?

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes

Awesome! I'm glad your happy with it. So are you glad you didn't go with that little powered subwoofer?

Hey Shawn - YES!

It's nice to have this forum to bounce ideas off others who have direct experience on our projects.

I appreciate the advice and dialogue.

Joe

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha. Absolutely man. No problem. If you need any tuning advice let me know. Also I don't remember did you put dampener down over the big holes in the door to "seal" them?

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More

Haha. Absolutely man. No problem. If you need any tuning advice let me know. Also I don't remember did you put dampener down over the big holes in the door to "seal" them?

Hey Shawn, I will contact you on the adjustments (it will be a while) and I have not sealed the big holes. Man - you like to make me work!! LOL

How do you like the 5500 Pioneer head unit? I'm thinking about getting the same one. How did the install go?

Hey Wayne,

I really like the head unit – I have not used all of the options available on the unit, but I will comment on what I have used/experienced.

It’s the 2013 model, so it only has one USB input, but I don’t see needing more than that.

It has the RCA outputs for front, rear and sub, which I used. Since I run external amps, I have no comment on the power output of the head unit. The Bluetooth feature works great without the extra expensive cables for the iPhone I can control my phone functions, access my phone book, make calls and stream Pandora all with Bluetooth using my iPhone 5.

It came with a microphone that I hooked up for voice commands and telephone conversations that I sound a good spot – a blank in my dash on the left of my steering wheel – it works great.

The controls on the unit are easy to use and figure out. It’s intuitive in that way, you don’t really need to study the manual if you can figure things out by just playing with the controls and trying them. The front panel angle is adjustable which is cool and it remembers where you set it, so the net time power is applied, it goes back to where you set it.

The equalizer is nice because there are several presets as well as the ability to set 2 custom settings. Depending on the song, a different setting is easy to choose until you hit the one that sounds best to you.
I have not used the DVD/CD at all, but it has the ability to read a large variety of formats. One of these days, I’ll throw a movie in to see if it plays. I think it should. I did wire in an emergency brake by-pass so the unit will play video, but have not yet tried it. I don’t see myself watching movies on the thing, but I could see where I might want to use a backup camera someday.

I have used the HD radio, but so far, Pandora is usually where I have been getting my music. I bought the Pandora monthly (about $4.00 or so).

I use a USB drive with the HU and it catalogues the drive and is easily searchable when you touch the magnifying glass to search. I ran the USB cable to the dash so I can plug in (or just leave the USB connected) and use when I want to.

It was purchased from Crutchfeild, so it came with their standard installation kit that worked out fine. The kits are universal, so you will have to cut off the spare attachment points that are not needed for your configuration. I read the instructions several times, tried it and then used my old radio for a template of what attachment points to leave on. It’s fairly straight forward, but take some time getting acquainted with all of the pieces and instructions. The dash comes apart easily and the old radio is a breeze to remove. I did mine in stages, so was without tunes in my car for a bit, but used my iPhone/Pandora with a portable Bluetooth speaker (JBL Charge) to get me through the week or two. This was a great solution.

The radio is in there tight especially because of the steering wheel control/On Star adapter and its associated wiring, but is definitely doable.

I ran my RCAs from the passenger side, behind the glove box and ran the rest of any wiring (microphone/amp on switch/) on the driver’s side.

I bought the equalizing microphone for the unit, but have not yet tried it to see what it adjusts. I still need to do some work to the system, like get my steering wheel controls to work and re-route/dress my wiring, but I will eventually get to this too.

That about covers it. PM me if you have other specific questions.

Joe

Mighty Mouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Joe, thanks for the details. I know the 5500 is last years model and it does more then I need. I'm pretty sure I'm sold on that unit. I have been running Pioneer's for years and installed them with no issues. The Tahoe is going to be the first one I have done with all the extra crap attached to the radio. I'm going to do the head unit now because my 6 disc changer in the radio is screwed up. After that I'll look into subs and speakers.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steering wheel controls working!

Got my steering wheel controls working, so wanted to share this if anyone else comes across this same issue, maybe this could help.

I thought it was programming or even my unit was bad, but it turned out the simplest thing was the cause - The remote control plug from the CRUX harness to HU not plugged in.

Here’s what happened – I bought the right unit for my application, an 04 Tahoe with OnStar no Bose, so I bought the CRUX SOOGM-15.

I did my HU install and was concentrating on many things including making up the wiring harness that goes from the crux to the HU wiring loom. My instruction sheet from the CRUX was a one page document that included no documentation on programming of the CRUX, other than making sure the dial was set to the proper position for the brand of HU you run.

Showing dial indicator on CRUX (in middle of blue box):

IMGP1227.jpg

Mine HU is a Pioneer, so I made sure it was set to “0”. I installed my HU which worked fine, but my steering wheel controls did not work.

In this thread, I posted my controls didn’t work and it was mentioned that I might try to re-program the unit for a potential fix. I did some research and found additional instructions for my CRUX model that included the programming, so I thought that this must be the answer -- and last night when my son was over, I tore into my dash armed with the fix.

Steering wheel down and shift lever in low 1:

IMGP1218.jpg

Pulling trim off:

IMGP1219.jpg

IMGP1220.jpg

Since I didn’t do the programming the first time, I thought this had to be the fix.

Specifically the "test for high/low systems" and "setting the audio controls".

soogm-15_Page_1.jpg

soogm-15_Page_2.jpg

It has you check for “high level” or “low level” inputs by turning on the key and pressing the OnStar button and listen for a response. If you get the OnStar response with the CRUX dial position indicator on “0”, no further programming is needed, if you don’t further programming IS needed.

This is what messed with me – because I NEVER got an OnStar response in either of the positions that the instruction talked about. :flipthebird:

I did it several times to no avail. My son saw the plug for “remote control” from the CRUX harness that I NEVER HOOKED UP, assuming it was for the FOB style remote control that comes with the HU that I would never use. :Stupid Me:

With his suggestion to try it, plugged it in and the steering wheel controls worked!!

IMGP1230.jpg

IMGP1222.jpg

Buttoned up:

IMGP1231.jpg

This is just a shot to show where I placed the Bluetooth microphone – I thought it made a good spot:

IMGP1221.jpg

IMGP1216.jpg

I never could make it come up the OnStar greeting, but didn’t care at that point and buttoned it up and now have steering wheel controls.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

:favorites37:

Next on the agenda – amplifier wire dressing!!

:hat: