AWD Growl sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 Yukon Denali AWD 160k miles makes a growl from the left front, it's not very loud and only does it sometimes. Usually if I make a slight turn under acceleration.
I thought I read somewhere that they have some way to listen to the drive train and can pinpoint the problem. Is this a real thing and what is it called so I can ask for it.
(Also left front hub was just changed and I just changed the fluid, fluid had sparkles in it but no metal pieces)

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you record the sound, post it to YouTube, and post the link here? Hearing the growl will be helpful to us in supporting you.
I doubt you're gonna hear it, I have to strain to hear it myself but I will give it a try. It's not related to the engine as I put it in neutral and rev'd with no change.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glitter in the front diff is definitely something to be checking on. Pull the cover, drain and inspect gears and pinion bearing for slop. Was hub torqued properly? You can install the shiniest of hubs new and not properly torque and trash it in weeks of driving on it.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glitter in the front diff is definitely something to be checking on. Pull the cover, drain and inspect gears and pinion bearing for slop. Was hub torqued properly? You can install the shiniest of hubs new and not properly torque and trash it in weeks of driving on it.
I forgot to add the sound was before the hub change. Can you pull the cover off a front AWD diff? Never paid attention to how it is assembled I just know it doesn't look like an old straight axle.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you're gonna hear it, I have to strain to hear it myself but I will give it a try. It's not related to the engine as I put it in neutral and rev'd with no change.
The threat of being recorded cured the problem LOL. Drove 40 min to Dothan and back and was almost noise free.
That said I noticed the sound can be heard sometimes while in park and just a little bit rpms above idle I can hear it. So now I think it is something vibrating.
What's been done to the girl lately is new front cover gasket, r&r exhaust manifolds, r&r motor mounts, r&r lf hub, r&r idler arm, pitman arm and center link.

I'm gonna do some more poking around based on this new info.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The threat of being recorded cured the problem LOL. Drove 40 min to Dothan and back and was almost noise free.
That said I noticed the sound can be heard sometimes while in park and just a little bit rpms above idle I can hear it. So now I think it is something vibrating.
What's been done to the girl lately is new front cover gasket, r&r exhaust manifolds, r&r motor mounts, r&r lf hub, r&r idler arm, pitman arm and center link.

I'm gonna do some more poking around based on this new info.
Well the drivetrain aint turning in park so that rules out the diffs and hubs. The front diff has a cover just like the rear diff does FYI.

OP
OP
latvius

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the drivetrain aint turning in park so that rules out the diffs and hubs. The front diff has a cover just like the rear diff does FYI.
True for sure on the drivetrain, can you point out the front cover from this picture?
1725140237185.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3