Beefed up suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dadwagon95

Reaction score
What's up everyone, new to the forum and glad to be here Ive always been the one reading them and looking for specifics but I figured hell w it and registered for an account. Anyway, I drive an 04 GMC Yukon 4x4, 258k miles, (no lift that Im aware of) I have been dappling in tire/wheel trade. Long story I ended up with a set of 20x9 gear off road gloss black wheels with 265/70/20 Toyo open country a/ts on them. According to my tape measure they're 32"... I'm still on stock suspension I believe (only had the truck about a month or so) and from what I've researched the stock suspension will end up giving me issues with this size tire.. any suggestions? Again I'm not sure if I have a lift already nor am I sure how to identify it. There's no dead give away and with taking my fender liners out I have no rubbing

Attachments

• IMG_20240824_121437867.jpg
    IMG_20240824_121437867.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of measuring a set of wheels with a tape measure as well. The "actual size" of your tires -- no idea how it's calculated (maybe tire size and required clearance?) is 34.6" -- almost 35". That is never going to work without rubbing, a LOT of trimming, or a lift. 33" is right at the limit for standard height, may require a little trimming, and assumes a working stock height suspension.

Here is a tire size calculator, maybe it can help: Tire Size Calculator from Tiresize.com

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think that your new wheels/tires will cause any rubbing problems. Put one on a front wheel and move the steering wheel from end to end, and look at the clearances. I run running 305/50x20 tires with a 32" overall height, and I have no rubbing issues (close clearances, yes, but OK). I recognize that I have a GMT900 model, but I think that you'd be OK with your GMT800 model.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 Z71 wears 255/70R18, which are 32" tall. No issues, but it's close enough.Try a better tape measure. 265/70R17 are 31.6" tall, so 265/70R20 MUST BE 34.6" tall.

Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I measured my wheels and they came out an inch or two shorter than the tire calculator said they should be. Even accounting for wear they were way off. I have a customizer friend, and he said that is normal. So a tire that measures 32" with a measuring tape is likely to be considered a 33" tired.

Please don't make me go out in the Texas heat and check myself...

OP
OP
dadwagon95

dadwagon95

Reaction score
I made the mistake of measuring a set of wheels with a tape measure as well. The "actual size" of your tires -- no idea how it's calculated (maybe tire size and required clearance?) is 34.6" -- almost 35". That is never going to work without rubbing, a LOT of trimming, or a lift. 33" is right at the limit for standard height, may require a little trimming, and assumes a working stock height suspension.

Here is a tire size calculator, maybe it can help: Tire Size Calculator from Tiresize.com
Wowwww now I feel dumb. Welp. Back to the drawing board lmao. Fortunately I actually don't have any rubbing which is surprising because I don't believe I have any kind of lift on this Yukon

OP
OP
dadwagon95

dadwagon95

Reaction score
My '02 Z71 wears 255/70R18, which are 32" tall. No issues, but it's close enough.Try a better tape measure. 265/70R17 are 31.6" tall, so 265/70R20 MUST BE 34.6" tall.

Saying I thought they were 34s but I just wasn't sure for some reason I felt like a regular tape measure that popped up 32 inches tire height was the size that I had but I was really stuck at they were 34s

OP
OP
dadwagon95

dadwagon95

Reaction score
I don't necessarily think that your new wheels/tires will cause any rubbing problems. Put one on a front wheel and move the steering wheel from end to end, and look at the clearances. I run running 305/50x20 tires with a 32" overall height, and I have no rubbing issues (close clearances, yes, but OK). I recognize that I have a GMT900 model, but I think that you'd be OK with your GMT800 model.
It's my question is how is your tire size bigger than mine and only has a 32 inch height everybody on the other post that I made are telling me I have 34.6 is almost 35

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can go to the link I provided, or even Google "tire size calculator" if you do not like the one I suggested. The one I use has a second function that lets me compare tire sizes, so I can get the right wheel+tire combination for the size I want to run. That also lets me research to see if the brand/model of tire I want to run is available in that rim+tire combination.

02Richguy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

What width can fit with the 33s?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimxms