BIG 3 help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I would add a fuse for safety in case of a front end collision. It's true that an accident that severe may total out the vehicle, but why risk a fire and a blame game from an insurance company that could affect the total payout?

With the fire (not disagreeing, i'm interested), how could a fuse between the alternator wire and the battery stop a potential hazard?

Also, Chevy does not fuse the OEM wire, so how could you foresee an issue?

Again, i am interested, not disagreeing :)

OP
OP
strussy

strussy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the info very helpful. Think I'm gonna go with 4gauge for now till I get my new 250 amp alternator.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the fire (not disagreeing, i'm interested), how could a fuse between the alternator wire and the battery stop a potential hazard?

Also, Chevy does not fuse the OEM wire, so how could you foresee an issue?

Again, i am interested, not disagreeing :)

Should the wire get crushed straight to ground, the fuse would blow. Without a fuse, you would a really thick wire going straight to ground.

And GM does fuse the wire in the form of a fusible link. The fusible link will blow just like a fuse.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Should the wire get crushed straight to ground, the fuse would blow. Without a fuse, you would a really thick wire going straight to ground.

And GM does fuse the wire in the form of a fusible link. The fusible link will blow just like a fuse.

Precisely. It is more safety and preventive measure of increase repair costs.

Of all the places to have a failure of imagination this site should never be one of them.:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968