HELP - Intermittent Electrical Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dwinters14

Reaction score
Sounds like an electrical issue. You could have an intermittent short to ground/short to power which is adding a ton of resistance to the system making it hard to start/keep power going through the system. In terms of the lights and back up camera staying on, I wonder if that's any aftermarket components you have installed? The fact that you removing the battery terminal and re-attaching seems to temporarily fix it, could point to the system being reset.

Rule out your battery first.

Confirm it's good, then tighten all your connections. Positive terminal, negative terminal, engine to ground, positive to alt, and positive to starter. Ohm test your grounds, battery to ground, and engine to ground. You will be able to see if there's something internal going in with the wire if the resistance is very high or not consistent, this would be good under load.

Next the only other thing that connects ALL of those components is your ECM/PCM. Could be a short in the system there which is causing all the random crap going on. I'm not exactly sure how it all lays out on your truck, and it'd be tough without a diagram but see if the smaller modules (AC, windows, starter, radio) all connect to the bigger ecm.

Could be corroded wires, loose pins, shorts etc... but it definitely sounds electrical to me.

GL!

51Davek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the cranking issue and not the lights and shutting down. It appears to me that there may be an issue with the Body Control Module. And it may not be the unit itself, but, a short in the network. Check the condition of the HVAC front fan. If the resistor shows signs of burning, this may be the problem. Sounds weird, but I had the same issue. And after $2500 and replacing many parts. This resistor was my problem.

tc8510

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had these same issues as you back in 2021. It was killing me. Where the truck shuts down while driving or doesn't start randomly, especially after rain. I had someone look it over for me. The very 1st thing that he checked, were all the ground wires. Come to find out it was the one under the hood that connected to the engine block. It was on its last thread literally! He replaced it and has not had an electrical issue since. I hope this helps... Good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmds3