Billsteins With DJM Arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, been busy with other things and havent got the 3/5 drop installed yet. I did get the shocks though. The eyelet needed some slight modification. The hole was just a tad too small so i drilled em out w a 1/2" bit. Then the metal insert was roughly 1/8" too wide and wouldn't slip into the mounting bracket on the DJM arm. So i busted out the hand grinder and took a bit off each side. Sounds like alot of work but it only took about 10 minutes for each shock. Looks like they fit perfect now. Just gotta find some time to install it all now. :)

Mike

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well good news! I installed the 3/5 drop and Bilstein shocks today. Not a job I would recomend doing alone lol. Couple times I wished I hand a third arm when installing the DJM front arms. Truck is going to the alignment shop tomorrow. Once I get the stance dialed-in I'll start a new thread with pics and give a report on the Bilsteins also.

Mike

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice!!! Can't wait to see it! I know what you mean about wishing for an extra arm. lol

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so initial impressions are mixed about the drop and the overall ride etc..

First, the Bilsteins seem to work amazing. Very compliant but not quite as firm as I was hoping for. Seem to be about like a stock shock, on a stock height Tahoe to be quite honest. Was hoping for a little firmer ride but these will do for now. If I get some extra coin I might opt for the re-valving option later on.

Second, the rear is way too stiff. My buddy gave me some Belltech Nitro Drops off his lowered suburban and well, they pretty much suck. It's either that or maybe because I don't have the rear hardware kit installed back there to relocate the lower arms? Not sure why but I'm not diggin it and something will change. I've got the Belltech 5305 coils which everyone says ride great so I doubt that is the issue. Free travel mod was already done so that's not it.

Third, I'm thinking I need to go lower lol... The DS front is at 33", PS front is 34" and both rears are about even at 34"-34.2". I want to crank down the keys a bit. I counted the number of turns each bolt was at when I removed them from stock, and put the same amount of turns back into them when I reinstalled. So, probably could go an inch lower in the front and cut a coil or two from the 5305's (dead coils). Got these from Alex and he mentioned they were barely used, so they might settle a bit in the next month or so. Oh yeah, running two different size tires front to back for the time being. Got 305/40/22 up front and 305/45/22 out back, so I might wait to get the matching 305/40/22 in the rear before messing with cutting the springs much, although I still have 1" spacers if I cut too much off the springs.

I'll try to get some pics up sooner or later. :)

Mike

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad u finally got everything installed. Sorry to hear you felt the Bilsteins were too stiff in the rear. I agree with your analysis of the BT in the rear, hehe. Do you have shock relocators on the truck? I've read that a bad shock angle can cause binding and a poor ride.

One option worth considering is the Z71 bumpstops up front. Those might help you firm up the front a little.

Just some thoughts.

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad u finally got everything installed. Sorry to hear you felt the Bilsteins were too stiff in the rear. I agree with your analysis of the BT in the rear, hehe. Do you have shock relocators on the truck? I've read that a bad shock angle can cause binding and a poor ride.

One option worth considering is the Z71 bumpstops up front. Those might help you firm up the front a little.

Just some thoughts.

I've never ran Bilsteins in the rear but they will probably be the choice of shock that ends up back there. I cant stand these BT Nitro Drops. Not using shock extenders as they're a shorter shock for the drop.

Ive never heard of anyone referencing the Z71 bumpstops. I know where theres a wrecked one too lol... Might have to give that a shot. The front Bilsteins arent too bad if you like a stock plush ride. I kinda like a firmer ride as long as its not so jarring that it rattles the teeth lol.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The nitro Belltech hasn't been made for years. way soft this is why i use the Belltech street performance shocks with the 3/5 plus kit i sell

Yuko04

"SquareBODluvr"
Reaction score
Excellent thread boys..... Seams like I will be ordering the Bilstein shox now!!! Never ending....suspension shoukd be all upgraded soon:waytogo:

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent thread boys..... Seams like I will be ordering the Bilstein shox now!!! Never ending....suspension shoukd be all upgraded soon:waytogo:

I'm loving the Bilstiens in the front with these DJM arms. Good control and not too stiff. When I first installed them I thought I'd like them to be a bit more firm, but now that I've got a couple thousand miles on them, I'm really enjoying the plush ride. :)

Hoping to have some time to install the Bilstiens for the rear with DJM brackets. Probably gonna have to modify the brackets for a bit more extension though.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler71

Latest posts