Billsteins With DJM Arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear this. I love the bilsteins front/rear on these trucks. Especially once you start going lower. Mike, you'll love the way your truck rides w/ them front/rear.

candyman74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front and rear shocks

ok so i know the PN - 24-013284 are for the front but which ones for the rear

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the rear Bilstiens I got these: 24-143806, but I dont think they would work if you're really low in the back. At my ride height (in sig pic with Belltech 5305), the shock dimension sitting still was 17" without the DJM shock relocation brackets These Billstiens fully compressed were 16". The DJM brackets will add 2" of extension to the shock so that would only leave 3" of suspension compression before the shock bottomed out. I fabbed up some custom extensions and modified the DJM shock brackets so that I now have 5" of usable shock compression. Basically I wanted the axle to hit the frame before the shock bottomed out. :)

If I were to do it again I would go with a stiffer front Bilstien for the DJM arms and a shorter version of this same shock for the rear. I will say that these rear Bilstiens ride AMAZING!!!!!! Can not stress enough how much better these rear Bilstiens are than the Belltech Nitro shocks I replaced.

Mike

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that these rear Bilstiens ride AMAZING!!!!!! Can not stress enough how much better these rear Bilstiens are than the Belltech Nitro shocks I replaced.

Mike

Any pics of these custom extenders?

I'm running the same shock w/ the belltech TB spring and I have enough travel before the shock bottoms out. I have 2" extenders too. I've been told my shocks are too long but I'm not worried. When the $$ is right, I'm getting some King shocks front and rear. BTW, these bilsteins are great for the price and they ride excellent.

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didnt take any pics but they'll be coming off this weekend for a coat of paint. Wanted to make sure there wouldnt be any issues before painting them in case I had cut/ weld again lol... I made them with several different bolt hole locations so I could run just about any style/length of shocks. :) Also picked up a vertical milling machine a couple weeks ago and have been having way too much fun with that lol...

Mike

OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex, here's the pics I made for the rear shocks.

I started by cutting off the new relocation tabs from the DJM shock relocation brackets. Then I made the new tabs with several different hole locations for different shock lengths. Once those were made, I mocked them up to the bracket with them mounted to the Tahoe and tacked welded them in place. I chose to weld the plates on the outsides of the DJM bracket to allow for side to side movement of the shock when the axle gets crossed up in relation to the body, like driving at an angle over a steep driveway approach etc.. This required making some spacers to go between the new shock bracket hole and the shock itself.

I could have welded the plates on the inside of the DJM bracket and they would have been a perfect width for the shock eyelet hole. But, the bracket would have been practically touching the shock body and would have put a strain against the shock and possibly prevented the axle from moving freely at extreme angles.

So here is the finished results after painting them today. I now have an adjustment range from stock location to, 2", 3" 4" and 5". As the Bilstiens are now, mounted at the bottom location and suspension fully dropped (chassis supported on jackstands), the Belltech springs will not fall out and I have up to 5" of shock compression before the shock bottoms. Way more than needed but at least I know these shocks will last, even if I go quite a bit lower.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Mike

candyman74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah after going out an looking at my truck i dont think those brackets will work with the djm rear hardware kit. is there a shorter shock that can be used? i still have some 2in shock extenders laying around so maybe a 3in shorter shock and the extenders would work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M Hankel

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah after going out an looking at my truck i dont think those brackets will work with the djm rear hardware kit. is there a shorter shock that can be used? i still have some 2in shock extenders laying around so maybe a 3in shorter shock and the extenders would work?

A shorter shock would be the better setup IMO. I would like to find this same Bilstien shock in a shorter version. Not sure if they make them though and haven't had much interest in researching it since I already had the shocks and the brackets.

Mike

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Mike. That's a good looking relocator!!

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did the Bilsteins on my truck yesterday. I had to bend the tabs of the DJM arms wider to fit the wider sleeve of the new shocks. Had to buy new bolts as well, went with 2.5" x 7/16" and they worked perfect.

Other then that it was straight foward. They definatly ride better then the djm shocks ive had. After 1.5 years they were completely blown and the bushings completely gone on one side. It still doesnt ride GREAT, but its definatly better and much more stable on the highway..I dont get the ****** side to side on bumps, which im guessing was from the missing bushings on the djm shocks. They have much better rebound than the new djm shocks as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simpleman76667