Brake Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to be replacing the front rotors, pads, and brake lines on a 1999 Tahoe soon, and was wondering what brake fluid to use. Also, how should i bleed the brakes?

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
dot3, umm to an exact brand of brake fluid, i dont think it matters, you can get synthetic if your feeling in the money

How should you bleed them? well your going to need 2 ppl for that job, have someone pump up the brakes without the car running and for you to loosen and tigghten the bleeder screw and wait until you have straight fluid coming out of it (no air in other words)

OP
OP
G

GoodmanOX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I have to bleed all 4 if I'm just replacing the front?

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
Never hurts. Brake fluid absorbs water by design, so flushing it out is an easy thing to do that adds to your braking abilities. :)

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
DOT3 or the newer DOT4.

And you are going to have to bleed them if you are doing new lines. You don't need two people either, I bled mine myself, just gravity bled them. Stick a clear hose tube onto the bleeder screw and crack it ope. You'll see all the air coming out, just make sure you keep an eye on the brake fluid leve. And no, you won't have to do all four if you are just doing the fronts.

Last edited:

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
I would actually use 2 people if possible or the speed bleeders found at any oreilly stores. That way you can ensure that you get all the old brake fluid out of the system and air as well. I would bleed all 4 tires starting by the right rear, then the left rear, then right front and last the left front. Always monitor the level in the reservoir. I used DOT 4 fluid and before I added the fluid, I emptied out the reservoir, cleaned all the black sediment out, and then added the new fluid. Make sure you clean it good or the new fluid will get contaminated. I went ahead and replaced my stock calipers with 3/4 ton HD calipers and HD Performance Friction pads. Now my braking is ALOT better and crisper. I will be going to hydra boost next, then I will not have any more braking issues ever again. If you need part numbers, or have any questions, just PM me and I will be more than happy to assist you!!!

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in those 3/4 ton HD Calipers. Will they fit my 4x4? Did they just bolt up? Will they fit my stock wheels? What are they off of, (Make and model). Any upgrade is an improvement.

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
IIRC the 3/4 ton calipers only work on 2WD models. All you have to do is get calipers of a OBS 3/4 ton GM and you're good to go.