Brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeTaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had new brake pads installed as part of my repairs/upgrades/lift last year (around Sept). Problem is, the pads squeaked from day 1, and 2,000 miles and 8 months later, I can't take it anymore. Anyone have suggestions on what brand of pads is good (no $ to do any sort of upgrades right now)

billiam7787

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
ceramic anything pretty much. 55 bucks at autozone. does it squeal even when u dont apply pressure? is there uneven pad wear? is the inside more/less worn than the outside? are u even sure its the front brakes? hopefully its something as simply as too much brake dust. if u do buy new pads, spend another another 100 bucks to get some slotted and drilled rotors, well worth the money.

OP
OP
TahoeTaz

TahoeTaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing was used (as far as I'm aware) but at this point, if I have to pull them off, I might as well replace them. They feel like they stop as they should (with the oversized tires, its not sports car like, but I haven't had a scare yet), and the squeaking seems to be worse in the heat, then in the cool.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
keep in mind that ceramic are nice but need to be hot to work 100%

I run hawks on both trucks

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the napa premium ceramic pads(same equipment they use on police hoes), theyre a little pricey, but I've never had a problem with any noises etc, great at making high speed stops, and in all honesty your rotors will go bad before the pads fail. Ask me how I know....

cqlink

Reaction score
That's a sweet Tahoe, Wagun.

Hey, I have an LT with front discs and rear drums. I was looking for pads and a site said there are two different drum sizes on the rear 10" and 11"

Do you know what size drums I have ('99 LT, 5.7L 4WD)? Does it matter if I use the hi-perform police pads?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic pads are made to be quiet, last long and not put out a lot of dust. They are not real performers though. You need a higher friction coefficient pad like the hawk pads.
Always use the brake quiet sticky spray on the back, and anti sieze on the metal parts of the pad that contact the caliper brackets.

My 99 4X4 4 door has JB6 brakes which I believe are the 11 inch. Check your glove box sticker for the RPO code JB5 or JB6, or go to http://www.compnine.com/vid.php and put in your VIN to see everything you have and a description. Auto zone or whatever usually has the rpo code in their description of the part on the computer when looking at drum brake parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968