Breaks Went Out on Me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP you are in for a treat if it turns out one of your brake lines are rusted through. You will learn new cuss words that you never new existed because you will invent them yourself. You will be so pissed off that you wont be able to see straight. The fun doesnt even end with just changing the brake lines either, the bleed is a blast without the proper tools. These brake lines have been known to cause divorce. Your dog will stay away from you for months at a time after you come in to wash the dirt out of your eyes and grime off your hands and arms while kicking the dog and calling it unspeakable things. You will consider taking either explosives or a firearm and unleash them on your vehicle. I sure hope no ponds, lakes or rivers are fairly close to your home. If so, you will be going swimming and the vehicle will be swimming with the fishes. But other than that, just a normal day. Have fun and it sucks to be you!!!
Dont even think for one minute that you can bleed the brake system of air with the old school gravity and pump and hold brake pedal way. Those era of vehicles did NOT have ABS manifolds plumbed to all the brake lines. You have to use a bidirectional scanner which will have an auto bleed feature that uses the ABS pump to be "Guy that pumps the pedal" and then it also cycles the ABS manifold solenoids which is where the air is trapped.

RET423

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soft brakes is air In the system, very low fluid is a leak in the system; leaks introduce air so you have at least one fluid leak somewhere in the brake system.

I don't want to sound mean but driving it for months like that was incredibly dangerous for everyone and indicates a level of understanding of the brake system that is likely insufficient to repair this safely.

I almost never say this but get someone who knows to coach you in person or tow it to a decent shop; for both your sake & ours

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elwah