Budget rebuild items?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After installing the new cam, and getting the old cam sprocket off (new tool, yay!) I realized that I hadn't ever checked the condition of the original cam retainer plate seal. Of course it was completely squashed, so progress was halted while I ordered another one. $19 for a GM plate online or $44 for an aftermarket version in person at AutoZone/O'Reily's. What a PITA.

Also had to order a new power steering pump/resevoir for my Yukon, as it's leaking through the rusty hardline. The plan was to buy a new one for the 6.0, but I'll just swap the new part from the 5.3 (and the alternator & bracket) onto the 6.0.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After installing the new cam, and getting the old cam sprocket off (new tool, yay!) I realized that I hadn't ever checked the condition of the original cam retainer plate seal. Of course it was completely squashed, so progress was halted while I ordered another one. $19 for a GM plate online or $44 for an aftermarket version in person at AutoZone/O'Reily's. What a PITA.

Also had to order a new power steering pump/resevoir for my Yukon, as it's leaking through the rusty hardline. The plan was to buy a new one for the 6.0, but I'll just swap the new part from the 5.3 (and the alternator & bracket) onto the 6.0.
It's coming along! Great job!

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have time, I've heard even millings thinks adding the 2nd bolt to the pick up tube is worth while. the interview I was listening to thou it might help with all the o ring failures when they get old.
I actually bought one of those "Y"-shaped clamps to thread into the unused hole on the oil pump.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to fire up the kid's never-used 3D printer, and make a front timing cover alignment tool, instead of paying $30+ for an aluminum version. I was thinking about just using the new harmonic balancer to center the cover, but this seemed like a fun little project.

m9BxUtJ.jpg

It needed about 10 minutes of sanding to get the ID smoothed out (the kid's printer probably has the opposite of a high-resolution nozzle, so a couple thousand & rough) so it would slide down the crankshaft with a little lube, and not feel like it was going to break apart.

0FGBsIu.jpg

Just waiting on the additional oil pickup tube clamp, then I can seal up the bottom-end.
VtV52Hz.jpg

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emailed BlackBear Performance, and in their reply they let me know that the 5.3 injectors and torque converter would be sufficient for my plans.

Reusing the injectors will save me a few hundred bucks that I can put towards a new (stock) converter. He said the extra torque of the 6.0 should slightly raise the stall speed. I'm now looking at the 6L90 converter to slap in when I get the engine split from the gearbox.

Precision of New Hampton: (https://gopnh.com/) said they won't sell to an individual via an online order, so I'll have to call, which seems weird in 2024.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knot on call