burning oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

The Widge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah, it has the 4/8 cylinder thing. I havn't looked around to much in the thottle body or intake. Honestly I'm not very mechanically incline, other than oil, plugs, and filters. lol... Would running the Lucas hurt??? Lucas seems to be a good product..

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought oil consumption was a common occurrence in those engines. I thought it was related to a pcv valve or something about rings seizing up?

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
In my case the pcv was working properly when I had oil pooling in the intake manifold. This is why GM designed a valve cover. 2007 is when DoD (Displacement on Deman, later changed to something else) came out on the Tahoe. Mine has it. Oil consumption should not be occurring, even if you have DoD. I still think you should check and clean the throttle body before we get any further into this. Also, running Lucas Oil Stabilizer won't hurt, but I doubt it'll help too. Another thing I thought of today was, have you tried done a seafoam treatment recently? If not, I recommend it. It'll help clear up the top end of the engine.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was saying was that when the dod came out on the 5.3, I thought from then on there was an oil consumption issue. I may be mistaken.

OP
OP
T

The Widge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is seafoam alright for the motor. I you tubed it and it seemed like only old beat up cars used it on their last leg.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
theres an artice stating that when when AFM is active, a small amount of oil may get past the piston ring and when the cylinder reactivates, it burns the oil. Fixes are decarbon engine, install a AFm shield, replace pistion rings, replace pcv. Ill let you guy know what happens with mine when i go for a Log check

OP
OP
T

The Widge

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all, I'm at dealer now starting my consumption test...how do they check exactly how much is being used. The dip stick does not have indicators to indicate, just a few holes separated evenly. Is that how they tell how many quarts it was burning.

Big Bad Allis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is seafoam alright for the motor. I you tubed it and it seemed like only old beat up cars used it on their last leg.

If you're using a quality oil I don't see a need for seafoam. If you have a car that you bought used and it has a sludge build up or went way over on an oil change then there might be merit for seafoam or some other product to help remove the sludge build up. Adding anything to a high quality properly balanced and blended oil will only take away from the properties of the oil that you're using. Stick with Mobil 1, Syn Pwr, amsoil and the like. Don't let anyone selling amsoil or any of the other boutique oils tell you that you can run 15 - 25,000 drains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhrusso925