Buying a Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skeezer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
In 2007 when the new Tahoe came out, I was quick to purchase one. I loved that truck. It was a black LTZ. For whatever reason, in 2010 I decided to trade it in for a Sierra 1500 SLT. Sure it was the same on the inside, but overall I was just not happy with that pickup.

So here I am today, looking for daily driver trucks and have been eye-balling the Tahoe that I have been longing to have once again.

I live in the Chicago area and have found a few dealers that specialize in selling used police vehicles. They all look to be owned by the same people too.. I've done some reading on this site about folks buying from them, yet I haven't seen anyone mention that they're all owned by the same people.

Chicago Motors
Asia Motors
Welcome Motors

They're all within the same section of the city and their websites are all owned by the same guy. I'm guessing if I walk into one dealer, then they should be able to pull inventory from any other lot? At least that's how it works with bigger dealers around here.

Anyways, what should my main concern here be? I already have an Auto Check account to review the history of any of these vehicles. I'm in the market to spend under 12,000 for one, so it will probably have a fair amount of miles on it. Love the white with black Interceptor wheels.

OP
OP
S

skeezer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've been looking at this exact truck on their website. I'm sure it will be sold quickly.
If it's still there on the weekend I will probably go take a look at it.

I'm mainly looking for something to drive 20 miles a day and be able to haul all my fishing junk around. This should work out well with the floors. The LTZ I had was kinda nice to be a fishing vehicle. A used up PPV can take some beating and I won't feel so bad about it :)

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
103k aint that bad actually. but yet again it is a PPV, most of those trucks take a real beating. there driven by someone else who obviously doesnt take care of them because it aint there vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's going to be hard finding a NNBS or 07+ for $12k. You might be able to find one with a lot of miles (100k+) and an LT model with not a lot of options but I doubt you will find an LTZ which is basically the Tahoe fully loaded. I guess they vary in price based on location too. I know here in FL, an LTZ with under 60k miles were going from $25k to $30k. I still look around and hardly see them under $20k, even with a lot of miles. Check out Autotrader.

OP
OP
S

skeezer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not looking for an LTZ or a base LT model Tahoe.

I'm specifically looking for PPV/SSVs with higher miles. I have seen plenty in my price range already.

emay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wash out flooring would be cool for the maintenance factor.

The fact that it's PPV means it was driven hard sure, but it was also maintained to be reliable for the job at hand. So don't have any ill feelings going in on that. I think everyone here has had their fair share of vehicles that got pushed to and beyond their limits but maintained them on the back end.

Good luck with the find -

OP
OP
S

skeezer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand it's taking a risk on the reliability here because of how these vehicles were used, but I also have the means of repairing them without breaking the bank. I'm looking to see if anyone has experience with these vehicles and there's anything in particular I need to watch out for.

SCMODS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I think of a used police vehicle I think of someone sitting in it idling for 3 hours. Since the DIC on these shows HOURS, it would be very interesting to compare them to a personally driven Tahoe with 100,000 on the clock. This sounds like you're really emotionally invested in making this purchase but I'd caution you to really think about it.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I understand him wanting it since it will be a beater car for him and he has an easy/cheap means of fixing it.
I personally would not ever buy a PPV car (retired or new). They are just too plain.The retired one's have been beaten in pretty good, and the new ones don't have enough options to justify the price. Then, resale value of it would probably not be pretty either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2024 Tahoe Brian