Bypassing vapor canister hose (aka bane of my existence...)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kspang85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
08 Tahoe 5.3 flex, dropped the tank & was clearing the lines of charcoal. However, the metal preformed hose, vapor canister hose, (GM Part # 23171536) is completely clogged. I've attempted to clear it several different ways (w/o removing it) which looks like a HUGE PITA, and a new one it's at least $100.

Since it's just an emissions hose, is there anyway I can just run a nylon/rubber fuel line from the canister purge valve to the vapor line above the tank? If so, any idea of the size of the hose or names of the disconnects that I would need?

P.S also considered removing the line that connects directly to the vapor canister purge under the hood.

Edit: Taking another look, would it be possible to run the hose all the way from the canister purge valve under the hood to the charcoal filter? Or am I in complete denial and oversimplifing rather than facing reality....

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea, as I've been lucky enough to not have this happen yet, but it does remind me I need to order a new canister before it does.

my only 2 cents is make sure the hose you use is rated for gas, not all are but byond that if it's just a hose, run what you need to run. stick over the fitting and clamp it down?

I've not seen the ones your talking about but if you wanted to, a lot of times you can split the plastic line and the quick connect fitting is just a plastic barbed fitting with a plastic warmed up and forced over it. stick a rubber hose over it and clamp. I can't see there being a issue with that besides the extra work. most just seem to be able to blow the lines out with compressed air?

OP
OP
K

kspang85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have no idea, as I've been lucky enough to not have this happen yet, but it does remind me I need to order a new canister before it does.

my only 2 cents is make sure the hose you use is rated for gas, not all are but byond that if it's just a hose, run what you need to run. stick over the fitting and clamp it down?

I've not seen the ones your talking about but if you wanted to, a lot of times you can split the plastic line and the quick connect fitting is just a plastic barbed fitting with a plastic warmed up and forced over it. stick a rubber hose over it and clamp. I can't see there being a issue with that besides the extra work. most just seem to be able to blow the lines out with compressed air?
I've tried "puffs" of air using my portable air compressor, the weed trimmer line, bottle feeding water down the hose, banging/rattling, detaching portions to try and remove the blockage.

TODAY, I'm running 10 ft of 5/16 emission rated hose from the canister purge valve to the charcoal filter using SS hose clamps. Throwing the tank back up there, and wait for the Christmas lights to pop up on the dash.

Fingers crossed.

P.S went to autozone and bought a AC Delco canister purge valve (just to be safe) when I opened the box, charcoal pellets fell out, and shook more out of the valve itself..... Icing in the cake.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charcoal pellets fell out of the new purge valve when you opened the box? Did I read that right? o_O

it wouldn't surprise me.. my oem acdelco canister was bad from rock auto. it didn't have charcoal falling out thou haha.

getting good parts has become impossible making it even more annoying when the stock parts that should last a life time fail. I've never once in 30 plus years of working on stuff have ever heard of a charcoal canister dumping charcoal into a evap system. maybe it's a thing that's not talked about, but I feel their pain and annoyance of this crap.

OP
OP
K

kspang85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Allllll right.... got everything smashed in there & hooked up. Started fine buy then threw a code for ......

Any guesses?

Faulty canister purge valve!

Shocker, I know....

I'm gonna give the next one a good shake first ;)

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Allllll right.... got everything smashed in there & hooked up. Started fine buy then threw a code for ......

Any guesses?

Faulty canister purge valve!

Shocker, I know....

I'm gonna give the next one a good shake first ;)

ugh.. that sucks.

I really gotta get my canister replaced before I'm dealing with your nightmare.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh.. that sucks.

I really gotta get my canister replaced before I'm dealing with your nightmare.
Do it! I did it on both of mine proactively. For me it's an every 5-6 year maintenance item now, and I'm also careful to never overfill the tank. But our driveway is sloped so there is always a chance of the canister getting soaked when the tank is merely full, I figure.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do it! I did it on both of mine proactively. For me it's an every 5-6 year maintenance item now, and I'm also careful to never overfill the tank. But our driveway is sloped so there is always a chance of the canister getting soaked when the tank is merely full, I figure.

yeah. our driveway is sloped too. passed 160k. need motivation for the rabbit hole I need to go down lol.

so mine seems to have one pipe that's bigger than the standard trucks, but most parts store listing's just show the standard truck's number had fitting mine. the oem is discontinued, I thought I scored a close out deal on rock auto for one of the last oem ones, but turned out it kept throwing check engine light once ever few months when it finally completed its test. went around throwing other parts at it, finally put the stocker back on and alls good check engine light wise. of course warranty is long gone on that one..) so 200$ paperweight), and so are replacements. there's one oem on a ebay listing. only a 14day returns and gotta pay shipping. might be about to force it to pass or fail with the tech 2 but 14 days would be long gone by the time it runs it's checks. I'd be stuck with 2 junk oems.

there's a few listing's for aftermarket ones, but not sure if it's a correct listing for my truck or the standard truck. but they are 300$ vs 100$. so maybe it's right. for some reason mine always come with new mounting brackets too.

so annoying, but yes. I need to get it replaced before it goes out fully.

OP
OP
K

kspang85

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well....

The vapor hose bypass was successfull!

Got 10ft (should've gotten 12) of 5/16 emissions hose and ran it all the way from the vapor canister to the canister purge valve. No check engine lights AND.... I can fill my gas tank in less than 5 mins.

If you're dealing with this evap issue, this might be a better route to explore before you decide to get "handy" and drop the tank.

P.S replaced the fuel pressure sensor while I had the tank down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedR

Latest posts