Can I drive without front differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Evans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently hired a mobile mechanic to replace the differential carrier mount bushings on my 2007 Yukon Denali XL AWD. He removed the front differential and took my mounts to press out the bushings and then dissappeared. I can't get ahold of him. Can I drive the vehicle without a front differential and if I can, do I need to do anything, like pull the axles for example?
Thanks,
-Martin-

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not with AWD. @Geotrash you can't lock the transfer case on AWD in this gen correct?
That's correct. Can't be driven that way - it won't move.

And the diff mounts are sold as complete parts and although it's a little tricky and takes patience, they can be replaced with the differential still in the car, so I have no idea why anyone would remove the whole front diff then try to press out the bushings.

File a complaint with the BBB and they will go to work for you. If that doesn't work, take him to small claims court.

OP
OP
M

Martin Evans

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's correct. Can't be driven that way - it won't move.

And the diff mounts are sold as complete parts and although it's a little tricky and takes patience, they can be replaced with the differential still in the car, so I have no idea why anyone would remove the whole front diff then try to press out the bushings.

File a complaint with the BBB and they will go to work for you. If that doesn't work, take him to small claims court.
Thanks for your reply! It's possible that something happened to the guy, since he left his bottle jack and battery and charger for his impact at my house. I don't think a complaint with the BBB will do any good

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! It's possible that something happened to the guy, since he left his bottle jack and battery and charger for his impact at my house. I don't think a complaint with the BBB will do any good
Yeah, that changes the picture. Hope he's okay and you can get it sorted out. Let us know if you need guidance for getting it back together. Rock Auto sells the diff mounts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skivvywaver48