Can The Water Pump Pulley Be Replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwing

Reaction score
If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Replaced the water pump on my '07 Tahoe 5.3 in April. Got a cheap one on Amazon. Yesterday, on the home after being fired ("laid off"), my serpentine belt exploded.

I popped the hood to find the weld on the water pump pulley, that joins the stamped steel pulley to the hub, had completely shattered, leaving pulley flopping in the breeze.

Can I remove/repair/replace just the pulley/hub assembly, or am I stuck replacing another water pump? Any help is appreciated.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Replaced the water pump on my '07 Tahoe 5.3 in April. Got a cheap one on Amazon. Yesterday, on the home after being fired ("laid off"), my serpentine belt exploded.

I popped the hood to find the weld on the water pump pulley, that joins the stamped steel pulley to the hub, had completely shattered, leaving pulley flopping in the breeze.

Can I remove/repair/replace just the pulley/hub assembly, or am I stuck replacing another water pump? Any help is appreciated.
I'm sorry to hear about all of it :-(

To answer your question, the pully isn't sold separately. If you're handy with a welder you might be able to tack it back on, but unfortunately I think you're looking at a new pump. If I still had my old one, I'd send it to you.

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about all of it :-(

To answer your question, the pully isn't sold separately. If you're handy with a welder you might be able to tack it back on, but unfortunately I think you're looking at a new pump. If I still had my old one, I'd send it to you.
Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to. I actually thought about firing up the MIG, but the way the weld let go... that metal was toast long ago. If I did weld it, I'd probably spend an hour chasing the crack from the crystallization, and even if I got it to where I thought it would hold, and it was in amyway straight enough to actually work, no way it would last more than a couple weeks before giving way again.

Oh well. You get what you pay for. Being broke is far more expensive than most folks give it credit for.

Thanks for confirming though! Gives me more support to justify the $220 I just spent on a new one 24 hours after losing my income, LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lakecowboy