Cat Back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Looking for some opinions. The flex pipe on my 10 Burb rotted out just before the ball and socket joint and is leaking bad. I was going to bring it to a muffler shop to see if they can weld something in place to fix it but I think I'm going to go with a cat-back kit instead. I'm leaning towards the Borla #140423 because it's supposedly not much louder than stock which is what I'm looking for and I definitely dig the dual side exit exhaust tips. From what I've seen so far most kits are around 1000 to 1500 and the Borla lands right in the middle of that. I consider most on here experts so please share some opinions. I'm not looking for performance gains and dont want a real loud exhaust. Also anyone have any ballpark idea what a muffler shop would charge to weld a new pipe in place? Thanks!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Looking for some opinions. The flex pipe on my 10 Burb rotted out just before the ball and socket joint and is leaking bad. I was going to bring it to a muffler shop to see if they can weld something in place to fix it but I think I'm going to go with a cat-back kit instead. I'm leaning towards the Borla #140423 because it's supposedly not much louder than stock which is what I'm looking for and I definitely dig the dual side exit exhaust tips. From what I've seen so far most kits are around 1000 to 1500 and the Borla lands right in the middle of that. I consider most on here experts so please share some opinions. I'm not looking for performance gains and dont want a real loud exhaust. Also anyone have any ballpark idea what a muffler shop would charge to weld a new pipe in place? Thanks!
If you already got a muffler then a shop shouldn’t charge no more then 50-100$ to weld it up
My buddy has borla exhaust and loves it he said it’s not too loud at all but has a nice tone to it I like corsas better but they give more of that corvette sound and their super expensive
A budget option would be black widows or dynomax mufflers if your trying to save some money

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted (most of this) this on a different exhaust thread this morning, and added the "--" section:

Put a Borla Touring 3" in > dual 2.5" out on my aluminum LC9 5.3. It's just about perfect for me at 48yrs old. Plenty of bass above 3500 and just enough on cold starts. If anything I would turn it up the slightest little bit on starts.

+1 to @swathdiver advice also.. Ask Borla if they designed it to sound like the Touring? S-Type? or somewhere in between, or just outside the range of those two? I'd be curious to know?
......during the process, I learned that Borla use the same "can" for the Ford 2.7L turbo V6 as they do for the Ford 5.0L V8 and the GM 5.3L V8.
Found this one on the market book yardsale 3.5hrs away in Knoxville. Initially blew it off when I discovered it was bought for and installed on a 2.7 F150 for approx 1500mi. He said it wasn't loud enough(I though what would be on a 2.7L?) But it was so pristine that I kept going back to it. After enough times looking at it, I wanted to know why it couldn't be made to work for 2011 GMT900? What was different about the muffler? **Because the rest is just stainless pipe, it can be made to go on a lawnmower if you wanted** After closely comparing the two diagrams below, I was curious enough to call Borla and find out. Three calls later and I offered the guy a ridiculously low number and he said yes immediately. Said he was tired of stepping over it...

--I offered him $150 + shipping, it came out to $205.xx
--Exhaust guy charged me $350 to make the 3" from my Y pipe to the muffler, make and route both 2.5" exit pipes and to attach the tips I bought and align them horizontally behind rear tire. Also had to modify/move the hangers around some since it was made to fit 2018 F150
--Spent $55 on Ebay for the two black tips- 5" opening and 7-8" long(? or very close to) kind of important because they affect the final exhaust note, and cant be too long if you want them to turn 90* out the side. Length not so much matter if going to angle them, but I do a lot of off-road driving and it's NEVER flat here; any type of swept angle exit or straight rear exit is recipe for disaster with mud, rocks, and/or steep approach/departure angles
--Some or all of my 3rd Cat may have come out before this was installed?
--total have $610 in $17-1800? exhaust system
--obvi it's up to the individual re: time vs money.....personally, I have a rare condition that can sometimes be overwhelming and debilitating, at a minimum it's very time consuming! My mind prevents my body from making any combination of movements that would cause me or allow me to pay retail prices for things. If you are at all like this, I suggest looking at some online classifieds and see if something similar to the above scenario is an option for you?

edit: It's also my way of chipping in for the environment. Most impulse buys and tens of millions of repairable/rebuildable/upgradeable/repurposeable items end up in landfills. I do what I can to not contribute to this problem

20210507_183317-jpg.jpg
20210504_143654-jpg.jpg
20210504_143725-jpg.jpg

Attachments​

• 427848-b0e4bd21c231839be6b1dce7fe2933f8.jpg
    20210527_170358.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 2

Last edited:

5StarCustmSolutns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. I just ordered the Borla kit. I plan on installing it in the street with the truck on jack stands..Ill update with the install process and finished product.
that's awesome.... and good luck! any wd40 type slick stuff works miracles on the rubber hangers

avionics engineer once told me: "my dad always backed up his jack stands with wood or cinder blocks when he worked under a car in the street, and every time told me the story of his neighbor that was under a car working when it was clipped by a passing car that knocked it off the stands" I started doin it to after that story

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tried to order it. Seems nobody has it in stock. I found a few websites that claimed to have it but when I order it they can't deliver.. Still looking.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tried to order it. Seems nobody has it in stock. I found a few websites that claimed to have itI do but when I order it they can't deliver.. Still looking.

Well I tried to order it. Seems nobody has it in stock. I found a few websites that claimed to have it but when I order it they can't deliver.. Still looking.
Magnaflow has very nice sounding street exhausts... Check to see if they make one
for your application. They quit making the "kit" for my denali, but I contacted them
and they turned me on to one of their dealers that made the "kit" for me..
I haven't put it on yet, but I have magnaflows on other vehicles and
have always been pleased

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow has very nice sounding street exhausts... Check to see if they make one
for your application. They quit making the "kit" for my denali, but I contacted them
and they turned me on to one of their dealers that made the "kit" for me..
I haven't put it on yet, but I have magnaflows on other vehicles and
have always been pleased
I was checking out the Corsa kit but it's seems a little louder than I wanted to go...Its a couple of hundred more as well.

OP
OP
solli5pack

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borla discontinued the kit...looking into Magnaflow that Foggy recommended...I guess our trucks are getting pretty old that stuff is starting to get discontinued..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1