Chip/scratch prevention preferred method?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we have a new 2021 Tahoe and I got a small chip on front bumper I was pissed. Got a new 2022 Silverado HC on order. I want to prevent chips on the front painted bumper, my 2019 Silverado is bad with chips. What do I do? Ceramic coat? Or some sort of clear wrap on the front? What’s the best method for stopping the stone chips on painted bumper

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Color of vehicle has a lot to do with it white, black solid colors can be touch up easily but tin coats and colors with metalics don't look very good touched up. That said a clear wrap will help but if its big stone or what every it will break thru a wrap. Best bet don't follow dump trucks and semis especially bob tailed very close. Just my experience.

OP
OP
Banks22

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife’s is white and mine is black I just ordered some GM color pens to touch them up. My new truck is iridescent white. I was wondering about a clear wrap. Thanks

Pro299

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend a clear wrap. I used the 3M brand (top of their line, forget what they called it.) Put it on three days after I picked up the Denali. That was 9 months ago and no visible damage to anything so far. As mentioned, however, the wrap won't stop a serious chunk of rock. I used the same stuff on my last vehicle and after 12 years, there was only one bad chip where something gouged right through the wrap, paint, primer and into the flexible bumper material.

Another caveat, on the Denali, I wouldn't recommend trying to do this yourself. I bought the kit myself, but if my daughter hadn't come over to help, I would have ruined the kit trying to do it alone. She's a mechanical engineer and has worked with a lot of fabrics and other materials. We got it done with a heat gun and a lot of patience. She said if anything happened to this one I should probably just pay someone else to do the next one.

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was told that if you get a clear wrap or bra, make sure you get one that is ceramic friendly. That way you can ceramic coat over it.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So we have a new 2021 Tahoe and I got a small chip on front bumper I was pissed. Got a new 2022 Silverado HC on order. I want to prevent chips on the front painted bumper, my 2019 Silverado is bad with chips. What do I do? Ceramic coat? Or some sort of clear wrap on the front? What’s the best method for stopping the stone chips on painted bumper

Do the PPF. Ceramic coating won’t help with chips like the PPF will. I would do the PPF and ceramic coat over the PPF/whole vehicle.

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also wanted to add that there are new PPFs out there that are supposed to be more hydrophobic or already ceramic coated like Suntek Reaction. I haven’t tried them.

OP
OP
Banks22

Banks22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a place that’s about 45 minutes from me that does Xpel. I’m gona call tomorrow and see what they charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DwaneM