Chpipping my hoe..should I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
My tahoe has 101,288 and i wanted to know if its safe to chip it this far in its life i got it a year ago and im not sure.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do NOT chip it.

Better, yet, Have Black Bear get you a custom tune :D

This. Black Bear gives you a better tune that is more custom to you and your ride. Chips cant change as much and are "cookie cutter".

andrew383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There no such thing as a "chip" anymore..Any adjustments made to the ecm are done via tuning software-Hp tuners,EFI live or handheld tuners that offer far less adjustment than the software..

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's absolutely safe to "tune" any vehicle. Overall maintenance over the life of the engine is a more important variable than simple odometer readings.

If you've kept up on all the oil changes, filter services, & tune up stuff than a tune would be no problem. I have 150,*** on my 03 5.3 Tahoe with good service records & have had zero problems.

A tune will increase power & feel but more importantly increases drive-ability.

Cameron

OP
OP
01HDtahoeNJN

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
Thank you Cameron! what are some things i need before getting a black bear tune? some one told me i need a new manifold and exhaust system...im a newbie so im getting a feel for everything. thanks guys!

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Cameron! what are some things i need before getting a black bear tune? some one told me i need a new manifold and exhaust system...im a newbie so im getting a feel for everything. thanks guys!

Dont need a thing for BB tune. The more power mods you have the more the BB tune will wake your truck up. All I have is intake and a BB. If you get it then end up getting more mods, tune, exhaust, etc, BB does free retunes for life

OP
OP
01HDtahoeNJN

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
true but its not like their coming to nj every year lol. and i plan on adding a bunch of stuff but there coming in the spring supposedly so its better to do it now then wait and possibly miss out.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No you don't need it. There is optimization to be had on just a completely stock setup. However, if you have headers, cat back, cai, etc the tune can be programmed to accommodate those mods.

What are you looking for ideally? Shifts can be firmed up, it can be tuned to run on 91, 87, 89, etc, you can reduce or eliminate torque management, you can remove speed limiters...so much stuff...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52