"Clicking" sound while running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I know one of those "Whats this noise" type threads. I'm going to try to record the sound with my phone and just upload it but in the meantime I'm getting what sounds like a clicking/scraping sound (best way I can describe it) while the truck is running. It goes faster/slower when driving so it's tied in to the belt/pulleys somehow. It's not the typical squealing a belt makes so I'm kind of stumped. And it doesn't sound like piston slap or anything like that. Anyone have any ideas before I go out and record it? It just started all of a sudden.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

And as promised here is the video

th_VIDEO0020.jpg

Last edited:

farwek

Reaction score
Could be a multitude of things. I have had clicking noises twice that sounds similar to what you are describing, the first time it was my power steering pump and the second time it was my A/C compressor. Sorry I couldn't be more of help.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
injectors

Is that a serious reply?

It sounds like a pulley, Pull the belt off and spin all the pulley`s to see if they spin freely and don`t wobble. I`m betting that it`s the tensioner pulley.

If that`s not the problem i have no idea. Good luck.

buzzsaw714

Reaction score
Is that a serious reply?

if he pulls the belt he might as well swap out the idler and tension pulleys for 15 bucks.. if its proven thats not the culprit he needs to do a multi step injector cleaning to follow the order of operations from cheapest to most expensive repairs... i had a bad clicking noise that came out of nowhere and after countless attempts to stop it.. the injectors cleaned quieted it down substantially

Mac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Base on the pic it could be the alternator bearing....

Opps...it's a video..well sounds like a bearing or belt tensioner having more slack..

Last edited:

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly, my first thought was a bearing. i assume your oil pressure is ok?

ive never heard an injector make a noise like that. how would that be possible?

OP
OP
R

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brought it to a friend of mine's shop, they narrowed the sound down to the timing chain housing...

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take the belt off and run the truck.. if it still makes that noise you have a nice issue on your hands. if it goes away just spin the pulleys to see which one makes the noise

OP
OP
R

ryan81986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the mechanic thought it was the timing chain, so they took everything off and removed the cover and everything was fine. They had someone from the local dealership come down and look at it and he said it was coming from the cam bearing...

This just keeps getting better. Anyone have a line on a new motor for me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvaz2000