Clunks into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordankreutzer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 yukon and lately I have noticed when I put into gear it makes a very noticable clunk noise from the rear of the car. Also I've noticed that if I'm coasting And then acclerate it feels like I'm in neutral at first and then it grabs and acclerates normally. Would his suggest that I have a bad u joint or is it something else? I'm hoping it's not the later!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, I bet U-joints are going.

Start truck, sit in driveway, put from P to D, then D to R, back and forth with door open. Listen underneath truck, towards rear. If it <clunks> as you swap gears back and forth, have u-joints replaced.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do the U joints do? are they expensive to replace? do they need replaced?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
about $40 for u-joints, hard, no, need a press, good hammer and soem time. If they clunk, yes, they need replaced.

DREADMAN109

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Having the same issue with mine...I have been told the same thing...U Joints are going to have to be replaced...doing it Monday.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man am I glad someone posted this. I have the same issue but didn't want to go to the dealer for them to figure this out for me. Now I know, thanks guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx