Coil Replacement… They should be ashamed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houstontaylor

Reaction score
Be sure to check for vacuum leaks for hesitation, of course. I had a rough idle and slight hesitation on my 2003 Tahoe and had replaced almost all of the hoses. The brake booster hose looked fine so I didn't replace it earlier, but when I pulled on it I noticed the connection at the engine was loose. I replaced the hose and also the spring clamp at the engine with a stronger one. No more rough idle or hesitation.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check for vacuum leaks for hesitation, of course. I had a rough idle and slight hesitation on my 2003 Tahoe and had replaced almost all of the hoses. The brake booster hose looked fine so I didn't replace it earlier, but when I pulled on it I noticed the connection at the engine was loose. I replaced the hose and also the spring clamp at the engine with a stronger one. No more rough idle or hesitation.

The secretary/receptionist/scheduler at my indy mechanic seems a bit confused or annoyed by the fact that I ask for all soft parts [belts, hoses, vacuum lines, etc] to be checked every six months.

joe

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The secretary/receptionist/scheduler at my indy mechanic seems a bit confused or annoyed by the fact that I ask for all soft parts [belts, hoses, vacuum lines, etc] to be checked every six months.

joe
If she is a woman, she may not want to be involved with putting the phrase, "check soft parts", on a ticket.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If y'all don't mind a quick tangent, but one that's still on point...

I recently paid $1000, parts and labor, for a whole house surge protector to be installed.

It took i5 minutes to install. I looked up the part, after the job, and it's available for $50, lists at $150 [IIRC].

I'm STILL trying to get that hook out of my mouth.

joe

mikeseay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I am a little mixed up. You stated you have already "done it", referencing the 8 coils install. But now you say the coils are ordered and not installed yet. I am a trained tech and certified and know a little bit, but I don't think I can remove and replace all 8 coils in 20 minutes and work around some of the stuff in the way. No doubt that you can do it in 20, I just don't think I can, but I am 71 years old too.

I would be inclined to clean the MAF and MAP.
Last time I priced some work at a dealership I told the service writer “ you can shear a sheep time after time but you can’t skin the son of a b—-h but once. And you are trying to skin me” Then I walked out!
A customer that gets a fair deal will tell some of his close friends. A customer that gets a raw deal or feels he was skinned will tell everyone he can about the raw deal he got

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Last time I priced some work at a dealership I told the service writer “ you can shear a sheep time after time but you can’t skin the son of a b—-h but once. And you are trying to skin me” Then I walked out!
A customer that gets a fair deal will tell some of his close friends. A customer that gets a raw deal or feels he was skinned will tell everyone he can about the raw deal he got
Yep, treated right and they tell 1-2 people. Treat them wrong and they tell 10-15.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Half a million miles on three trucks of the same engine and haven't replaced a coil yet.

Bad wires and bad plugs can cause a rough idle or even a misfire. Our computer systems are designed for wires that have about 800 ohms of resistance and wires with less resistance are ******* factory plugs, wears them out faster it seems. I always check the gap on new plugs anyway and make sure they are all exactly .040".

In most cases, when one moves away from original equipment parts, they move away from durability and longevity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spm1us