Cold Air Intake tips.(hope this helps)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with any aftermarket/performance intake.

These performance systems are meant to give the air a straight shot to the intake. As you can see this is done by getting rid of all restrictions, including the water separation that GM has built into our intake systems.

I've had all types of vehicles, even my Corvette runs the stock airbox because I don't want to chance hydrolocking the engine. A Vette buddy of mine hydrolocked his engine due to one of these systems. It was a $6000 lesson for him.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
How? Cai rock a filter and it holds back some water. If it did that alot then they wpuldnt be selling them all the time....

03Dnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These performance systems are meant to give the air a straight shot to the intake. As you can see this is done by getting rid of all restrictions, including the water separation that GM has built into our intake systems.

I've had all types of vehicles, even my Corvette runs the stock airbox because I don't want to chance hydrolocking the engine. A Vette buddy of mine hydrolocked his engine due to one of these systems. It was a $6000 lesson for him.

Who the hell drives their corvette in the rain?

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How? Cai rock a filter and it holds back some water. If it did that alot then they wpuldnt be selling them all the time....

Again, the purpose of the CAI is to take the cooler air and give it a straight shot to the engine. Take a look at your stock intake, there are water traps in there that allow the water to fall down into those traps and drain out. That's why you have a hole in the bottom.

Most of the CAI kits out there are pretty safe, it's when you start getting creative you start putting yourself at risk. Cutting a hole in the bottom of the airbox, running duct lower to the front of the bumpber because you want a ram air effect, etc. Some are just plain scary, for instance on the Corvette where one kit has you cut a hole in the radiator deflector shroud to give the air a straight shot to the fiilter.

Running through a puddle won't give you a problem, but maybe one day you drive through a 500 foot stretch of standing water on a flooded street at 20 mph, and the water is a constant splash/wave around and under your vehicle. That's when you'll probably have an issue.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Who the hell drives their corvette in the rain?

Quite a few people I know do, it's their only vehicle.

Then there's the area of the country you live in. There's a saying here in VA, if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes. I've been caught in summer popup storms a few times since moving here. Once I was in my convertible with the top down, a couple of times in the Corvette on a Sunday drive.

Yukon Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Poor man's ram air

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but but I haven't seen it on here so I thought I'd post some pics. With parts from the local ACE hardware, I made this make shift air duct to complement my K&N CAI. Not sure If I'm gonna' leave it on or not.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
I notched the part so that it would fit againts the frame right behind the tow hook.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
I removed the air filter and used a hole saw that was the same diameter as the air duct to cut a hole in the air box floor.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
It's a tight fit so the hole needs to be cut in the correct location. Since the system isn't sealed so to speak, I don't think there's any danger of hydro locking due to excessive water comming up through the tube but I'll keep an eye on it next time it rains.

kev92gt

Reaction score
I've got the banks ram air system, a little pricey but I love it. Definitely improved the sound of my truck, but I wouldn't say it's any louder. When I'm driving down the interstate my intake temp stays within 5 degrees of the ambient (outside) temperature. They make a scoop that can be added I'm on the fence whether it will be worth it or not.

Any pics?

kev92gt

Reaction score
Any cai increase mpg? Should i just change filter to k&n and leave well enough alone.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
Any cai increase mpg? Should i just change filter to k&n and leave well enough alone.

The air filter on your truck is well designed...with a stock motor, I can't imagine you would see any difference at all. All the CAI companies throw up mpg and hp increases, but its never on a stock motor.

And once you move to the reusable filters the aftermarket companies put out, you will have to clean and oil the dang thing every few thousand miles....it's a pain in the butt and if you don't oil it correctly, over oiling damages the MAF and under oiling doesn't trap dirt particles as well.

coolchuck

maybe Escalade bound?
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but but I haven't seen it on here so I thought I'd post some pics. With parts from the local ACE hardware, I made this make shift air duct to complement my K&N CAI. Not sure If I'm gonna' leave it on or not.
picture.jpg
I removed the air filter and used a hole saw that was the same diameter as the air duct to cut a hole in the air box floor.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
It's a tight fit so the hole needs to be cut in the correct location. Since the system isn't sealed so to speak, I don't think there's any danger of hydro locking due to excessive water comming up through the tube but I'll keep an eye on it next time it rains.

This just doesnt look like a good idea. All I can envision is water creeping up that pipe in being sucked into the intake. All it would take is a good sideways rain and some puddles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx