Cold Air Intake tips.(hope this helps)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maduro

Reaction score
I just bought a k&n cai for my '03 Yukon & its being shipped. After reading this thread I may regret the decision. Totally scary. Hydrolocking...no mpg gains or minimal, too loud etc...I got it because my rig is getting a little long in the tooth & wanted to bump up the performance. But damn..

mmeachem

Reaction score
Well I've had my Spectre since June and had no problems
Knock on Wood

Ive gained maybe a little better throttle response with adding it and cleaning MAF and Throttle Body

No drone

Only drone I'm getting is from the fromaster original 40 but that's soon gonna change (Magnaflow)

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
I just bought a k&n cai for my '03 Yukon & its being shipped. After reading this thread I may regret the decision. Totally scary. Hydrolocking...no mpg gains or minimal, too loud etc...I got it because my rig is getting a little long in the tooth & wanted to bump up the performance. But damn..

Check out what Wake wrote on page 3 - IMHO, very accurate assessment.

You should be good Maduro, but just make sure you have the patience to take the K&N air filter out around every 3.5k miles (or whatever they recommend) and are willing to clean and oil it. Also, when you oil these filters, you should let them sit for HOURS to clean up any excess oil the filter material doesn't absorb.

If you oil and simply throw it on your truck, you are risking damaging your MAF (expensive part)

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is definitely a sound difference in aftermarket intakes. The stock intakes have those odd shapes because they are tuned to be quiet. Those shapes are resonaters and cancel out the sounds made by the rushing air (I dont believe they are to trap water). The typical CAI is a curved pipe, and you WILL hear the air moving through it.

Hydrolocking is a concern in STANDING waater. It would take lot of rain to cause isues. I've had CAIs on all my vehicles for 15+ years without a problem. If you read through posts online you will find hundreds of people with CAIs and maybe 1 or 2 with issues. its just a CAI, not a 500 shot of NOS.

To Maduro, Put on the CAI and enjoy the improved thottle response and cleaner engine bay. You wont have any issues. Dont sweat the filter cleaning, just do it when it needs it (probably a lot less frequent that 3500 miles). Just use enough oil to color the fabric, dont soak it in oil.

mazdawg(Mikey)

HGIC(head ginger in charge)
Reaction score
So honest Opinions, should I get a cai and risk the wife hating the tone or get a k&n replacement filter and be done with it?

godoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So honest Opinions, should I get a cai and risk the wife hating the tone or get a k&n replacement filter and be done with it?

CAI aint that loud unless you stomp on the gas but not that loud! You'll feel a little better response when accelerating,
If I were to choose again I will just get a k&n filter but aftermarkets look nice

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

godoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way I have a spectre it looks nice and I do feel a little better throttle response.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Anchor Management

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have S&B. After reading all these posts, I feel I got the best of both worlds. I get sound only when I stomp on it and better throttle response while maintaining a lot of the benefits of a 'mostly' enclosed airbox. I live the PWN and we get our fair amount of rain. Never had a problem with any of the intake kits I have used in various vehicles, but I like the S&B the most so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx