Considering a High mileage Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrayman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am considering a 05 2wd Tahoe with 120k on the clock. The truck is a southern truck, highway driven and fleet maintained. What type of longevity (mileage) are you guys seeing, because if I pull the trigger this one will need to be around for some time to come. What types of things should I be looking for when I go to see it? What's the life span of drivetrain parts, tranny engine? and lastly are the these trucks expensive to operate and maintain?
Thanks for any responses

02tahoeindiana

Full Access Member
Reaction score
high mileage gm truck means >250,000 miles in my opinion
my truck has 180xxx and still runs like new and drives perfect
and i have a savana van that has 310xxx with original tranny and engine runs perfect and drives great

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has 150k on the clock. i change the passenger front wheel hub. thats it. besides normal maintanance. more than likely the truck did not received its 100k service. mine didnt and i bought with 125k miles. although being a fleet truck it probably did. just do yourself a favor and replace all fluids with high quality synthetics, close the hood and drive.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
120? shes just getting broken in. my yukon has 110 and it runs perfect. just change all the fluids and start driving

TnTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 160k on mine its an 03, only problem ive had was wheel hubs, water pump, and a/c compressor and just regular oil changes

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2002 Z71 at 163,000miles for $7,000 and I replaced the engine oil, rear end gear oil, trans pan drop and refill, front end gear oil and the brakes. From then I just straightened out what needed to be straightened (alignment and fuel filter) and she runs and drives great.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow...i have 92K on my 03...:)

Tranny mainly, see if its' ever been replaced.
Fuel pump, expensive if it hasnt been replaced.

engines are fairly cheap, and interchangeable.

OP
OP
X

xrayman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, my dad has an 02 Silverado, which if I am not mistaken is the same platform, 110k and 8yrs later has been rock solid, so I hope this was the case with the Tahoes and it looks like it. :)

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother bought his 01 Tahoe with 110k on it. 4 years later he easily had twice that many miles. All he had to do to it was replace the battery. He has now passed and my youngest brother now own it. Since hes had it, he's had to replace the brakes and the fuel pump. It is now approaching 300k miles and still going strong.
My Suburban on the other hand was purchased in 2006 with 52k on it and I'm still not even to 100k miles yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts