Custom box REPLACE FACTORY location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wetvette92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Great job! I have been wanting to do this for awhile, glad to know it can be done! I have two 12's now and they just take up to much room and really put out more bass than I need. Thanks for the write up, it gives me motivation.

I'm also with ya on the MTX box, MDF is cheap and so is my time!

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wetvette --- it actually has right at a cubic foot the way i built the box.. takes a bit more time than the standard boxes i build for people. but i knew how i wanted my truck... Quality Sound and Functionality... it produces great sound no poly fill was needed at all..

Advice take your time and think threw the layout and make cardboard templets so you dont waist wood.. thats how i always make my boxes.. measure twice cut once...

primetime1267

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any updates?? I like the build, I'm about ready to start on some plans for my Yukon XL.

Wouldn't fiberglass have been quicker and easier getting the arch formed?

OP
OP
jdpber

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
05nali - it does not have navi i opted out bc that navi unit you cannot bypass the grounding ebrake for in motion music videos.. and i have a garmin hard wired top left a-pilar that works perfect.

finally got around to finishing up the box and final instalation tonight.. here it is.. it weighs in at about 35lbs 148 screws and a tube and a half of liquid nails.. it is a very dense box.. the amp is turned down and it rattles multiple interior pannels that will be addressed this weekend. the box is bolted to the body so it does not move.. the rear lift gate glass needed extra thick weather stripping so it would not rattle.. sounds good for a speaker still getting broken in..

the milling out of the grill is almost done,, it is very time consuming.. no room for mistakes..

219fa459.jpg

6f88c87b.jpg

bdbe5eb5.jpg

5a581eac.jpg

adc84e04.jpg

Last edited:

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
o wow! your cutting out each one of those lil holes in the stock grille??? talk about patience... good job on the box! very similar to what i had in mind except i wanted 2 8"s but i might just go with one. the jl i have now sounds really good for its size.

Nebraska1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I literally just tried doing this box TWICE in the past 2 weeks and failed both times...i wasnt using a shallow mount sub but was trying to make a regular 10" MTX fit in that xact spot . Im going to print out your pictures of this install if you dont mind and also i have a question.....when cutting to follow the curve of the wheel well , how did you curve the wood to follow that shape or did you use like a full sheet of mdf and cut each piece using a jig saw ? Any info would help as i GOTTA do this install , im sick and tired of people busting out my windows to steal a stereo then i end up paying for the glass and another stereo ontop of that ! Thanks man and keep up the stealer work ....looks awesome

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a GM part number for the under hood bottle jack bracket?

Cameron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968