Custom Headlights Halo and HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
gets popcorn ...

So what projectors you gonna use Jason?

Will have specifics soon. Basically just talked color and any options I'd like....I'm gonna keep it stock looking and just have him replace the factory halogen projector with an HID one. Going to go with 6000K for color. I know a little lower on the Kelvin scale will get me more usuable light but I like the look of of the 6000's.......I believe its gonna be a 55 watt kit with relays and such. As far as actual type of projector- I will know more later. Just gonna be happy to ditch the PNP kit for some 'real lighting' :D Pretty 'green' to the whole projector scene but I am learning......

EDIT: Serge here ya go...... Morimoto Mini H1 v5

-J

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

He is a great guy and his product is TOP notch ... you wont be disappointed

I will be posting your build on the site ... cant wait .

He sure sounds that way and I am sure I won't be ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DB Truck Customs
Reaction score
JJ will make them look awesome .. I would not promote him if his work was less than par . I run his lights .. best of the best PERIOD !

I can wait

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will have specifics soon. Basically just talked color and any options I'd like....I'm gonna keep it stock looking and just have him replace the factory halogen projector with an HID one. Going to go with 6000K for color. I know a little lower on the Kelvin scale will get me more usuable light but I like the look of of the 6000's.......I believe its gonna be a 55 watt kit with relays and such. As far as actual type of projector- I will know more later. Just gonna be happy to ditch the PNP kit for some 'real lighting' :D Pretty 'green' to the whole projector scene but I am learning......

EDIT: Serge here ya go...... Morimoto Mini H1 v5

-J

Jason, please do NOT run a 50W or 55W ballast with Mini H1s ... the evidence and feedback is overwhelming, they simply cannot handle that much wattage. Even TRS will not offer their Mori H1 package with a 50W option because they got tired of replacing them. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

A few oem projectors can handle it in the long run, but certainly not Morimotos.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Post No. 5: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?46486-Morimoto-Mini-H1-V5

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Jason, please do NOT run a 50W or 55W ballast with Mini H1s ... the evidence and feedback is overwhelming, they simply cannot handle that much wattage. Even TRS will not offer their Mori H1 package with a 50W option because they got tired of replacing them. http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=227

A few oem projectors can handle it in the long run, but certainly not Morimotos.

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Post No. 5: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?46486-Morimoto-Mini-H1-V5

Serge - pretty sure you know me from HIDP as well, but I'll introduce myself to everyone else here. I'm Jeremy, the owner of Retro Shop. I make the lights! :D

As for the threads linked.........well, you simply can't dispute what you see with your own eyes. I have been running a 55W kit in my personal truck, with MH1s for a year now. NO ISSUES. I have been selling 55W kits for use in the MH1 ever since TRS fixed the issue with the melting shrouds, so..........18 -20 months? I have NEVER had a customer have an issue.

I recently did a set for a customer where we redid his prior retro - changed the paint scheme, changed the inner bezel a bit - basically we reused his projectors but everything else was redone. He had been running the 55W kit in his for 13 months. He works nights, quite a few hours on this set. The bowl looked brand new. No discoloration or deterioration at all.

Bottom line, would I recommend running a 50-55W kit in these from an HID company that I don't trust? NO. DDM, Xentec, etc........hell, 99% of all HID companies out there, they run a 55W ballast with a 35W bulb. Overpower it, it will get hot. My supplier pairs 55W bulbs with a 55W ballast. They do not run any hotter than a standard 35W kit, and not a ****** cheap kit (like those mentioned above). My kits are sourced from Retro-Solutions.net.

I've done my homework here Serge, and topped that with real world experience to ensure that my customers are getting a product that will last and I am happy to put MY name on it. If I had to ballpark how many 55W sets I have sold for use in the MH1 projectors in the last 18-20 months........I'd say at LEAST 200. Not a single customer has had an issue.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi JJ, nice to see you over here.

Let me clarify a couple of bits ... first, I am not questioning you experience, knowledge, or retrofitting skills. I have seen your work and would happily recommend you to anyone on this forum. Second, what I know of retrofits can be said in five minutes ... I am by no means an expert I just happened to have had a couple of them on my trucks. Third, I have been praising the benefits of retrofits to anyone who will listen, to the degree of boring everyone to death ... so I am on your side bud.

However ... you know better than me that the 'I have been running 'x' on my vehicle forever without issues' is a flawed argument. Manufacturers recall tens of thousands of vehicles based on a very small sample of real life failures. All the other drivers are driving around saying 'no issues' ... plus, how many times have you seen 'I've been running ddm/xentec forever with no issues' stated on forums?

It's not that I am disputing your experience with 50W/MH1 setups, nor am I asking anyone to take my opinion at face value. But when TRS/Matt, who as I understand it are part of the design process of these projectors, and have seen more of them than anyone else on the planet, will recommend against running 50W whilst referring to their bowl issues at those temps, AND who they themselves sell 50W ballasts yet not package them with those projectors even though they would profit more by doing so, I just feel it fair to pass that info along to anyone considering this setup so that they can make up their own mind.

That's all.

Welcome aboard. :)

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I gotcha bud! :Handshake:

Trust me, every time I mention running a 55W setup, I hear about it. :lol2:

I think the biggest issue is with the improper pairing of a 35W bulb to a 50/55W ballast. One of these days I wish I could nab a few sets and do a heat test on them. Show brand X vs Y vs the ones I use.

Even Matt and I chatted about the 50W setups. From a liability standpoint, I can certainly see where they are hesitant to say "run it". We got a good chuckle on that one, as we all know that many things like this can be taken to the extreme - and nobody wants to be and the end of a major issue! :nolol:

I actually carry 4 different levels of HIDs, with varying prices and performance. 55 is where its at :pimp: - can't keep 'em on the shelf! But, each customer can pick and choose whatever they'd like, and each one has the same support and backing from me and my supplier. :cheers:

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just in from JJ ,,, WOW those look AWESOME !! Congrats Jason

http://retroshop.us/99-06 Denali HID Projector Retrofit/index.html

Been outta town and wondered if the pics made it over here ;) Looking forward to gettting them in a few days :D

Thanks Serge for the heads up but I put my trust in JJ for a reason and I'm sure if any problems arise he will stand by his work/advice and solve any issues. Just a few days and one less PNP kit will be off the streets......

JJ-Glad to see you got on the forum..........

EDIT: Here are pics from the link above........

DSC07477.jpg

DSC07478.jpg

DSC07479.jpg

DSC07480.jpg

DSC07481.jpg

DSC07482.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
humbertoltx