Dashboard Gauge Lights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
My dash lights have been constantly going out since upgrading to LEDs. I'm really thinking about switching back to regular bulbs. I'm lost with these damn bulbs. First they start flickering then eventually they go out. Primarily the right side keeps going out

johnsgonewild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My dash lights have been constantly going out since upgrading to LEDs. I'm really thinking about switching back to regular bulbs. I'm lost with these damn bulbs. First they start flickering then eventually they go out. Primarily the right side keeps going out

Well that's no good! Did you use the plug and play or did you have to solder them?

Has anyone else had this problem? I am going to snag another instrument cluster out of my friends auto salvage yard and go to town on that one....

I have never attempted to remove an instrument cluster...how complex is this operation? Is it really hard to do? I probably have to remove half of my interior to get to it...

OP
OP
B0$$MAN

B0$$MAN

Boss of all Bosses
Reaction score
I finally got the 4 LED's (210 Degree angle) in white that I needed. How do I remove the woodtrim (plastic) and then the gauge cluster so that I can install these?

rockymt21

wing addict
Reaction score
I finally got the 4 LED's (210 Degree angle) in white that I needed. How do I remove the woodtrim (plastic) and then the gauge cluster so that I can install these?

The dash bezel literally just pops out. Just use your hands and gently pull starting from the top left corner to the right. The gauge cluster is removed with 4 screws, im not sure on the socket size though. You'll also need to unplug the wire harness.

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
Same done here with the thanks of many people on here for the ideas .. attached are images showing what I have done to my '02 Tahoe.

First image : 02 Escalade Cluster with Blue 194 LED's
Second image : HVAC LED installation using Blue LED's 5mm 6000mcd Wide Angle w/ 470-ohm 1/2w resistors (Notice also the double-din installation of a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT)
Third image : Ultra Blue 42mm Festoons installed for main lighting (194's in doors and floor)
Fourth image : Ultra White 42mm Festoons installed for Reading and front Map Lights .. also installed into Puddle Lights.

Heads up in regards to the LED installations for HVAC and other areas .. I played around with a few resistors in regards to finding the right ones to use .. originally started with 4.87K-ohm 1/4w, found that the LED's were to dim .. tried 470-ohm 1/4w, made a huge difference from the first ones I tried, much more brighter, but a little limited .. settled with the 470-ohm 1/2w, this proved to be the best where I did not need to modify anything else in regards to sticking chrome tape all over the place to direct the LED's.

Thanks for the pics.

I'm trying to decide between doing the dome blue/white or all white..

I'm not sure if i want the whole car bright white when the doors open.. or blue.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Also, what lights are for the window controls and the seat heater switch?

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.

I'm trying to decide between doing the dome blue/white or all white..

I'm not sure if i want the whole car bright white when the doors open.. or blue.

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Also, what lights are for the window controls and the seat heater switch?

window switches and seat heater switches will need leds soldered in.

johnsgonewild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I am ready to get started. I have read and read and read, but I am still unsure about exactly what bulbs to buy.. I have an 05 yukon and I want to do the instrument cluster and A/C controls in blue led's. I looked at the sticky on which bulbs go where and could not seem to locate the information that I need, am I missing something?

Is it true that led's won't dim? The dimmer control will not work for the instrument cluster or ac controls if I do this? If I change these lights to led's and use the dimmer for my other lights will this affect the led's maybe by not providing ample voltage or anything like that?

Could someone please tell me which blue led's I need to buy and how many?

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

NOPROBROBB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am ready to get started. I have read and read and read, but I am still unsure about exactly what bulbs to buy.. I have an 05 yukon and I want to do the instrument cluster and A/C controls in blue led's. I looked at the sticky on which bulbs go where and could not seem to locate the information that I need, am I missing something?

Is it true that led's won't dim? The dimmer control will not work for the instrument cluster or ac controls if I do this? If I change these lights to led's and use the dimmer for my other lights will this affect the led's maybe by not providing ample voltage or anything like that?

Could someone please tell me which blue led's I need to buy and how many?

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
John

I swapped out the gauge lights and they dim but they dont have the same range as it did before when i had normal lights in there. As far as the rest like the AC and HVOC lights here is a good thread on it with pictures. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5738

I just ordered a hundred leds and resistors off of ebay from some guy in hong kong. Ill hae to check to see which lights and resitors i got when i get home and i can post it tomorrow. I havent read the thread that i pasted, there might be the info there as well
Hopefully this info helps a little

Last edited:

johnsgonewild

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I swapped out the gauge lights and they dim but they dont have the same range as it did before when i had normal lights in there. As far as the rest like the AC and HVOC lights here is a good thread on it with pictures. http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5738

I just ordered a hundred leds and resistors off of ebay from some guy in hong kong. Ill hae to check to see which lights and resitors i got when i get home and i can post it tomorrow. I havent read the thread that i pasted, there might be the info there as well
Hopefully this info helps a little

Yes this does help. Thank you!

What lights and resistors did you order? I'm trying to find out which led's and resistors I need to solder into the instrument cluster

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

wow... this is really starting to give me a headache!!! i've been navigating through the super bright led site as well as a few others trying to find out which led's i can use... and now it seems that I have more questions than answers!

The led's are cheap, so i think i'm just going to buy a huge assortment of different types and start experimenting....

i cant figure out which style size or type of led to use
i'm not sure about which angle is the best
and i have no clue about what resistor i should use and i havent come across any led's on that site that can be soldered in that have the resistors already on them...

so i'm either gonna short something out or have one sweet looking instrument cluster! but I will find out!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarRa