Debadging and Removing Mouldings???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brooster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am wanting to remove my tags and side mouldings so bad. i absolutely cannot stand them. but the only thing keeping me from doing it is the fact that i dont have the money to have anything repainted if the paint comes off behind the tags/mouldings. Did anyone here do it themselves or did they take it to a body shop? I need some advice on what to do. Do i need to apply heat to mouldings before i remove them?

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I ripped the plastic off quick and what was left was the double sided tape
grab some 3M adhesive remover, a heat gun (blow dryer), patience and something soft enough for the paint to peel away at the tape

you'll have slight rub marks but nothing a nice rubbing compound can't take out

KEY WORDS: patience

seriously just don't rush it and you'll be fine and it will look great in the end! :)

oh and post pictures :)

OP
OP
B

Brooster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
could you maybe give me some ideas of whats soft enough for the paint? like a plastic razor knife? or one of those plastic panel removal tools? and the adhesive remover wont eat the paint will it?

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
I used a nylon I don't know what to call it tool
IMG_8484.jpg

I found the key to it is to let the adhesive remover do all the work and use the tool to just peel it away so you don't have raw fingers

and nope its safe on paint
you will notice that the paint underneath the moldings will be a lot newer looking but thats to be expected just don't be fooled thinking that it was the 3M eating away the shine around them

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
call NAPA or Carquest and get a 3M Stripe off wheel...it goes on the end of your drill and will take that adhesive stuff off in no time flat. it took me HOURS to get all the stuff off from my fender flares doing it w/o the wheel. it only took me 20 mins to get off everything from the moldings.

here's a link of what youre looking for:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDepot/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemNo=MMM+7499

El Capitan

Senior Texas Member
Reaction score
fishing line (instead of the plastic knife)
pinstripe eraser wheel on a drill (to remove large clums of tape
adhiesive remover (remove whats left of tape)
buffing compound (to clean it up like new

thats how i did mine

Eagle

Thansk for all the help -STAFF!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
waxed dental floss is an acceptable substitute for the fishing line as well. (i like mint :) )

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I did mine with NO problems. I got it real hot with a hair dryer and pulled them all off. then used goo gone to get the goo off...

no problems.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use a heat gun on the badges and it will somewhat deactivate the adhesive. sometimes it leaves sticky stuff you got to get off like they are talking about but i have had it where ya get the heat gun on it real good and they came off clean didnt even need to wipe it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chevy100