DFM disabler released

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoloLobo76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you look at the install instructions this puts a connector device between one of the harness connectors going to what I assume is the control module for the engine. It’s behind the driver side front wheel well liner toward the front of the car. Need to take off the tire and wheel well liner to access it.
Maybe they will make an obd one in the future.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s just not clear why it is needed. On the 5th generation GM cars, there are no problems with pushers. And in the problems with the 4th generation pushers, no one has proven that the DFM system is to blame. If you turn it off, then by completely reworking the engine, removing it completely, and not an incomprehensible block in the OBD. If you already want to, you can drive in the “Trailer” mode; DFM/AFM does not work in it.

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
No it will not as people have installed it and still had lifter issues back when they had the bad run of lifter issues which was September 2020 to March 2021 engine build date not vehicle build date from the company that made the lifters for GM.
What? So is this new for the latest gen? It doesn’t do as described? It doesn’t disable DFM or keep cylinders from deactivating? Are you spreading misinformation on this product or have you seen firsthand info from this product on 21+ models? Can you provide proof on this product and this generation model engines? Not bashing what you’re saying but would like to be educated as I figured this is a new product available to us on the current gen.

Silverado4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? So is this new for the latest gen? It doesn’t do as described? It doesn’t disable DFM or keep cylinders from deactivating? Are you spreading misinformation on this product or have you seen firsthand info from this product on 21+ models? Can you provide proof on this product and this generation model engines? Not bashing what you’re saying but would like to be educated as I figured this is a new product available to us on the current gen.
Go back and read up on the problem with the lifter issue in the date span I posted, the problem with the lifters was not the DFM it was the lifter components were not properly heat treated from the manufacturer that made the lifters so even though if the system is disabled by the disabler the defective lifter components are still there. People have installed the disabler and still had the lifter failure due to the defective lifters.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go back and read up on the problem with the lifter issue in the date span I posted, the problem with the lifters was not the DFM it was the lifter components were not properly heat treated from the manufacturer that made the lifters so even though if the system is disabled by the disabler the defective lifter components are still there. People have installed the disabler and still had the lifter failure due to the defective lifters.
This is absolutely correct, it was a supplier spill that wasn't caught and made its way into engine builds. Nothing to do with DFM,

BigdawgR6

Reaction score
Would this still be beneficial for those who haven’t had issues with lifters or aren’t plagued with defective units? I would hope it would help with longevity of the components down the road.

Silverado4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would this still be beneficial for those who haven’t had issues with lifters or aren’t plagued with defective units? I would hope it would help with longevity of the components down the road.
Don't really know. My neighbor has a 19 silverado with over 80,000 miles on his DFM he doesn't have the disabler and not a single problem but most people get them when they install an after exhaust system because when it goes into cutting back cylinders they get that helicopter sound and is really annoying.

tagexpcom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "Trailer Mode" disable a few comments ago was interesting. We bought a used 2021 Yukon 6.2L/10-speed a year ago with 49K miles (was from Hertz). We bought it to tow and most of the 5,000miles so far are from towing - e.g. 'tow mode'.

I tried the 'manually set to 9th gear' and it didn't make any difference (I can tell) in the engine/drivetrain operations and this has to be done each time one drives. Installed that common auto-stop product and it works great.

Not bashing! but have been following the DFM discussion and like someone above, wondering if this is worth installing since we're up to 54K miles with no issues. Maybe our's didn't have the suspect lifters and is past the problem point? Also, the rig performs very well - we Love it - as is :)

Last edited:

DontTaseMeBro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s where I’m at: I don’t notice or hear DFM in my 2022(had its engine replaced in ‘23) at all. I installed the auto stop/start eliminator and have been very happy with this engine. If I do end up buying this device, it’ll be after the power train warranty is up.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s where I’m at: I don’t notice or hear DFM in my 2022(had its engine replaced in ‘23) at all. I installed the auto stop/start eliminator and have been very happy with this engine. If I do end up buying this device, it’ll be after the power train warranty is up.
Some of the 22’s actually didn’t have DFM in them due to the great chip shortage. Not sure how many of those had it removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cat dan