DIC - Change Engine Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YUOnDaGround

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this message connected to a sensor of some sort that actually reads that the oil is dirty or broken down or is this just a mileage counter that shows the message every 3,000 miles? Thanks for your time.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This takes in account a lot more than just miles.

Engine temps, RPM's, temp outside when started. etc..

If you do all city driving it may come on at 2k miles. All highway it may not come on until 10k miles.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

The General Motors Oil Life System (GMOLS) is not simply a mileage counter; it is a computer-based software algorithm that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on operating conditions. When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. The vehicle oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message.

The GM Oil Life System monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits, engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil.

You can continue to change your oil every 3,000 miles if you so choose, but remember to reset the system after changing the oil or you will get a false 'change oil' message. However, the GMOLS will allow you the ability to extend the mileage between changes without harming your engine. This will save you time and money as well as helping to protect the environment by minimizing the amount of used oil.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
This takes in account a lot more than just miles.

Engine temps, RPM's, temp outside when started. etc..

If you do all city driving it may come on at 2k miles. All highway it may not come on until 10k miles.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

The General Motors Oil Life System (GMOLS) is not simply a mileage counter; it is a computer-based software algorithm that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on operating conditions. When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. The vehicle oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message.

The GM Oil Life System monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. GMOLS will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits, engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil.

You can continue to change your oil every 3,000 miles if you so choose, but remember to reset the system after changing the oil or you will get a false 'change oil' message. However, the GMOLS will allow you the ability to extend the mileage between changes without harming your engine. This will save you time and money as well as helping to protect the environment by minimizing the amount of used oil.

No shit..... I had NO idea..... mine comes on at the same milage more or less every time but that makes sense since I drive the same mix all the time. Thnx for the info..... my bad for posting bad info........

buuuuut...... why then would you have to manually reset the "change oil" shouldn't it recalibrate itself with fresh oil........ I have to say I am slightly suspect of this info after thinking about that aspect but just slightly

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score

jutte73

Reaction score
yeah there is no "oil" sensor in the truck it doesnt know when you change the oil unless you reset it thats how it knows its time to start doing all its math again. in case you dont know how to reset it you turn your key to the run position ( do not start!) and push the gas pedal to the floor three times and release it then wait for the light to flash then trun the key off and its reset. in case you didnt know lol.

Dynamo

Reaction score
I have read that some manufacturers are working on creating an actual oil sensor that will sense the condition of the oil. To my knowledge though none have made it to market yet.

FWIW I just follow the Oil Life System though I usually change it when it gets down to 25%. Typically that is around 4000-4500 miles with daily commuter driving.

jplinville

Reaction score
I just hit 3000 miles in my 2005 Tahoe with 5.3 liter engine. The DIC shows that there is 70% oil life remaining. Should I change it now or wait for the DIC to tell me?

It has 63,000 miles on the truck, and was bought from the dealer as a GM Certified used vehicle...if that means anything.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change my oil based on the light- this is my 2nd GM vehicle with using this system, no problems. I have another buddy that had 3 grand prixs for company cars; he also used this feature with no problems, and since he traveled for work ,racked up a ton of miles on each car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRBJU52

Latest posts