Ditributor replacement----help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MetalStorm

Reaction score
1999 Hoe.....haven't attempted it yet, but it looks like the distributor is buried back there! Is it as hard as it looks to get it out? Any tricks?

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's just one bolt connected to a bracket that holds the distributor in place. There's a wrench that makes it easier to reach the bolt. It looks like a wrench bent at a 90 degree angle. It's a 5/8 if I'm not mistaken.

OP
OP
MetalStorm

MetalStorm

Reaction score
ok thanks..i think its 9/16 but whatever. it just seems like such a PITA to get to

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it needs to be at tdc when replacing the distributor. Remove the #1 spark plug and hold your hand over the hole that the spark plug screws into. Have someone put the key in the ignition and bump it until you feel the compression blow out. When it does, there ya go, tdc.

Is it 2012 yet?
Reaction score
Easier way for tbc is to remove cap a hand rotate crank till it lines up to placement for plug wire 1 also check your balancer should have a alignment mark on it and a notch in the timing cover.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always bump it over or turn the crank by hand where the rotor is pointing straight ahead, makes it easier to remember

haks310

Got LEDs?
Reaction score
Ditto with retorq.

It doesn't have to be at TDC to take out the distributor but it does have to sit back in exactly as it came out.
Now if you do install the distributor and it is not exactly in the correct spot your timing will be off some. You will then need a scanner that reads timing to adjust it.

And here is the wrench that will make the job easier:
http://www.amazon.com/Distributor-Wrench-12-Pt-General-Motors/dp/B000I0UNWM

OP
OP
MetalStorm

MetalStorm

Reaction score
thats some great info, thanks guys. when i take out the old one do i mark the rotor position? sorry to be a PITA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmericanThunder