DIY option upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CommittotheIndian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am in the process of shopping for a nice used Tahoe or Yukon. I'm trying to stick to the 2011-2013 years. To keep my purchase price down, I may have to sacrifice some installed options. This is not meant as a, "what options do I have to have." But if you have a strong opinion on the matter please share.

My question for this thread is, what kind of DIY options can I install later? I've seen the Nav/touch screen mentioned here. What about blind zone detection? Is that just put the blind zone mirror on. What about power folding mirrors, universal home remote for garage doors, etc?

Has anyone completed any of these installs? I assume all options could theoretically be installed but are they worth the price and hassle?

Anyone that could provide a (for lack of a better word) list of the possible DIY option installs (specifically ones that have been competed on this forum) it would really help in my negotiating.

Thanks,

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are much better off paying a few extra bucks to get a truck equipped with any factory options that you want. You'll easily pay twice as much, or more, trying to do it after the fact. Unless you're talking navigation vs non-nav or leather vs cloth interior (two of the most desired options), most options (like power seats, folding mirrors, auto-dimming rear view, etc) are installed as packages and really don't have much bearing on the price of a used vehicle. Model year and mileage will have the most impact on the price of any GMT900 truck.

Bust out those negotiation skills and go to work at the dealership. That's where you'll save your money. Don't settle for a truck that doesn't have what you want, thinking that you'll install it later. You won't, and you'll regret it (I've owned 12 cars since age 16, and I'm 30....ask me how I know).

kalahanmario

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
its best to pay for what is already installed. If you require those things and buy them later, that will cost you later.

Dave01

Reaction score
I definitely agree, buy what you want. When I was looking I found that the '11-'12 ones were very expensive, so I moved down to looking at '09-'10 and found some better pricing, and still some around with low miles. Any reason you want 2011 or newer? I'd say if you go a year or 2 older to save on purchase but get all the options you want you'll be happier with the vehicle.

OP
OP
C

CommittotheIndian

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I purchased a 2012 Tahoe LT with Luxury and Z71 Package. It has just about all the big items except Nav, Blind Zone, and bucket seats. IF i ever decide to add the Nav (and not just use a TomTom), I've seen plenty of discussion on it here. I think I'll have to get used to the 2nd row bench but otherwise, love my new truck.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blind zone crap is so annoying. You would be surprised how many people want a bench over buckets so you have a decent shot at a trade if you really don't like it. Sound like a great package Good luck with the new truck.

doubletapdrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our GM trainer said the blind zone detection uses radar in the rear quarter panels, so it's more than just mirrors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnfernandez1968