Do You Regret: Short-Body vs Long-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a dead sexy Denali...

Several people have now posted that they like the LWB better for towing. Why is this? I'm not trying to refute the point, I'm just curious.
The longer wheelbase and additional weight feels more solid. I never feel my towables over powering the truck. I went from a Tahoe to an Expedition EL and although I never towed with the Tahoe, the Expy just felt more stable.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my (2008) Tahoe for just over a year now and have been enjoying it. I will admit, however, that the ingress/egress from rear doors is surprisingly tight for such a big vehicle, and the cargo room behind the third row is even tighter and not useable with seats up.

On the other hand, I've had two cases of odd parking lot constraints in the past week where I'm pretty sure I would have been land-locked had I been driving a Suburban---I was barely able to back out of a space at the shopping mall for lack of backing room, and a crazy driver almost pinned me into another spot at a soccer field. I guess the morale of the story is to always park away from other cars/crowds when possible.

Kendall69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought the 2017 Yukon XL 4x4 , and love it. Think about it, you buy this vehicle of the utility part not the I like the looks part. The XL gives me so may more options over the shortie. Example, I'm packing today for a trip and by the time you add all the sleeping bags, lawn chairs, toys, rain gear, hiking boosts etc. I'm filling up the entire back with the 3rd seat folded down. You will always take more gear with you than you think you will need. Having said that, if you never plan on or don't have kids or a dog, and it's just you and the Mrs, and you pack lightly - get the shortie. But parking maneuverability etc. is just fine with the XL. Do what I did, I rented a 2017 XL and drove it 2000 miles in a week to see if I like it, and I loved it. The next week I had my own sitting in the driveway. If you ever go camping or on a long trip you will be glad you went bigger. Remember on the new XL's the third seat fold flat. I bought a fitted liner from the 2nd seat back and it is amazing the room you have and still be able to seat three kids watching their favorite CD,

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@08HoeCD , people suck. And they always seem to get worse in parking lots! Lol. I always try to park on the edge of the parking lot away from people simply, because I don't want my truck getting scratched. Haha. Then I realized it's easier to get out of parking cuz no one else parks near me and blocks me in haha.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt the extra ~200LBS changes the driving characteristics in any meaningful way. I've never felt my SWB change when I pick up a buddy.

hunter991

Reaction score
i have towed my 20ft Mastercraft behind my tahoe SWB, and it tows just fine. I do have a tandem trailer thou, so that may make a difference.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you've heard every reason in the world to buy either one. Like others I've had a Yukon XL and a SWB Denali. For me it came down to where I was in life. When I bought the XL I had young kids and needed the extra space and ease of entry. Now the kids are grown so I have a SWB Denali. I can't speak to the Ford stuff as I've never owned one. Just look at what you'll use it for while you make the payments. That'll tell you right away. Once it's paid for and the kids are grown keep it forever and get the one YOU want. If I had to make a choice today it would be SWB with a minimum of a 6 litre and 4WD. Any of them will tow just about anything. Good luck.

OP
OP
J

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone- lots of good points to be considered. It is definitely very subjective but I am not hearing any regrets from anyone who went with one over the other. I'll keep lurking and keep researching. The Sequoia doesn't appear that I will be re-designed this year or next. I've contemplated the new Armada but I think GM takes the cake when it comes to full-size SUV's. I really can't see myself looking at a Ford either. It just doesn't excite me and the new design doesn't wow me either. Very nice for sure, but not enough to make me wait around for it to come out and test-drive it.

SlanglTex

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've had a 2010 SWB Escalade and currently drive a 2015 LWB Escalade.

Pros to LWB:
1. 2nd row doors are full size (windows go all the way down)
2. 2nd row has slightly more leg room than SWB, easier to get in and out of backseat
3. Towing is more stable in LWB due to longer wheelbase - i've towed my 5k lb boat around with both vehicles and the LWB is definitely more smooth riding
4. You get 2 fold down video screen in the LWB
5. Third row seat is actually useable
6. Storage behind third row is great, if you fold down third row storage is amazing

Pros to SWB:
1. To me feels like a sports car compared to driving LWB - can whip around corners/park with ease
2. Doesn't look like a soccer mom mobile

Both are great choices, I picked the LWB on my current vehicle due to wanting a useable third row seat and still being able to have cargo space in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
partswapper