Does a 2024 Z51 with 6.2 require premium fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lt1gmc

Reaction score
Looking at a new Z51 Tahoe with 6.2, and although the fuel economy isn't great, I sure don't want to have to pay $1 gallon extra for gas. Anyone know, the EPA states Premium but I don't trust the salesmen answering.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at a new Z51 Tahoe with 6.2L, and although the fuel economy isn't great, I sure don't want to have to pay $1 per gallon extra for gas.
Anyone know, the EPA states Premium but I don't trust the salesmen answering.
TECHNICALLY, it does not NEED 91 or 93 octane fuel.
That said, trying to save money by using 87 instead of 91 or 93 is a VERY BAD IDEA.

IFF you MUST use 87, drive like a total wuss, to minimize engine load; avoid playing or working hard with the engine.
Also helps if you are traveling as light as possible.

If your Tahoe's 26 gallon tank gets ONE extra MpG because you are using 91 or 93, the cost of 91 is justified;
because the extra cost came back to you in MpGs.

If you break that 6.2L, and GM finds 87 in the tank, they may try to deny you some warranty coverage.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I stuck with a diesel. Can go 40% further on a gallon of fuel, premium is 4.79 a gallon in my area diesel is 3.79, regular is 3.69. Plus, no worries on the all too often discussed potential breakdown points of the 6.2...
A dollar a gallon extra is just being gangsters.....wasn't THAT long ago it was just .60 cents and that's plenty....

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a dollar a gallon extra here for Premium...is about $0.50/gal if you shop smart...Sinclair and dinopay app gets you $0.10/gallon discount, use Costco CC and get 4% cash. back...or get the fuel at Costco and their price is about what Sinclair's is w/ DinoPay app...but in my neck of the woods, Costco is 92 Octane for premium, and Sinclair is 93...

Yes, 6.2 has "premium recommended" so I run it. There are lots of vids on the youtube talking about it, and there have been all the documented 6.2L failures..for various reasons. I choose to not add spark knock (detonation) to the equation...plus I tow often, so definitely have a load on often...Like my uncle used to tell me, don't buy the dog if you can't afford the dog food.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Costco is about 40 minutes away for us, I wish they were closer, we would buy all our non diesel fuel there if we could. My wife's Jaguar takes premium, and I tell her to fill it every time she goes there.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why I stuck with a diesel. Can go 40% further on a gallon of fuel, premium is 4.79 a gallon in my area diesel is 3.79, regular is 3.69. Plus, no worries on the all too often discussed potential breakdown points of the 6.2...
A dollar a gallon extra is just being gangsters.....wasn't THAT long ago it was just .60 cents and that's plenty....

Not a dollar a gallon extra here for Premium...is about $0.50/gal if you shop smart...Sinclair and dinopay app gets you $0.10/gallon discount, use Costco CC and get 4% cash. back...or get the fuel at Costco and their price is about what Sinclair's is w/ DinoPay app...but in my neck of the woods, Costco is 92 Octane for premium, and Sinclair is 93...

Yes, 6.2 has "premium recommended" so I run it. There are lots of vids on the youtube talking about it, and there have been all the documented 6.2L failures..for various reasons. I choose to not add spark knock (detonation) to the equation...plus I tow often, so definitely have a load on often...Like my uncle used to tell me, don't buy the dog if you can't afford the dog food.

What are the common potential breakdown points of the 6.2 other than collapsed lifters?

My SO and I are deciding between the 2025 LZ0 and the 6.2L L87. We typically hold onto our vehicles for a long time so 100+k miles.

The diesel emission system seems like it would introduce another level of complexity compared to a NA V8 that may be fine under warranty, but it would end up being a sensor here and another sensor there after the warranty period.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the common potential breakdown points of the 6.2 other than collapsed lifters?
Well recently there has been a common theme of main bearings letting go on the crank due to bad clearances. If you search around you'll find an amount of both issues cropping up. Diesel vehicles also present a certain number of quirks over time, but I'm on my 4th one and by and large they have been very dependable. The LM2/ LZ0 combination if you look at most forums, really isn't that busy at all. A few crop up with issues or major issues, but by and large this format has been the best for these large vehicles. I personally bought an extended warranty for mine that will last me for as long as I own it. Right or wrong it will cover most any issues that come up after warranty and I don't lose any sleep over what just might happen.

Sad to see that the Escalade is dropping the diesel format for the future. I thought about maybe buying one as one of my last great vehicles in 25 or 26....

Also, if you are locked into premium, you will be paying the absolute highest price for fuel for the life of the vehicle @ an avg of 15 mpg. Diesels worst mileage is about 22 if you are pounding it around town...The gap from reg to prem could easily expand to 2.00 a gallon in a few years... What would stop them?

As far as sensors go, they certainly "can" be a problem, but they usually sort themselves out during the 3/36 period. If I had to throw 3-500 bucks at my vehicle a few times over its life beyond regular maintenance, that's certainly not a showstopper to me.

Last edited:

GTPace500

Reaction score
I only put 93 in my vehicles, and especially in my 6.2 Yukon. It burns better and cleaner and the extra $.50 - $1.00 per gallon is worth it for engine longevity. Find a costco or 7-11 or something near you with rewards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dexmann1