Does a 2024 Z51 with 6.2 require premium fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To that, I would say no. There was no significant difference in noise, that would cause for alarm. Is there noise coming from the engine bay, yes, but as you'd expect for a 22' vehicle with close to 60k miles on it, that's the kind of wear and tear you'd expect to happen.

Hope that answers your question.
My contention has always been that most of it is too difficult to hear. It has to be measured with a scan tool.

Turning off the air and radio and putting the windows down to listen ain't good enough, been there, done that, with the scan tool running.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My contention has always been that most of it is too difficult to hear. It has to be measured with a scan tool.

Turning off the air and radio and putting the windows down to listen ain't good enough, been there, done that, with the scan tool running.
This. Need the data on how much the ECU is compensating for knock to speak rationally on any of this. But what we DO know is that running regular unleaded gas in a 6.2L meaningfully raises the risk of eventual engine damage - especially under high power.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This. Need the data on how much the ECU is compensating for knock to speak rationally on any of this. But what we DO know is that running regular unleaded gas in a 6.2L meaningfully raises the risk of eventual engine damage - especially under high power.
Just to be clear, I am NOT running regular unleaded gas in my Yukon, currently. When gas prices were at an all-time high earlier this year, I switched to the mid-grade gas for a brief period of time. During that time, which was for about a month, I did not hear any significant changes in internal combustion noise coming from the engine... No knocking, no pinging...

For $#!+$ and giggles, I did an audible test during the last week I used the mid-grade gas, then did another test a month after switching back to premium, and there wasn't any difference.

Bottom line is that no one is going to destroy their engine because they briefly switched gas grades for a brief period of time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelB

Latest posts