Dreaded Effing lifter tap......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
So, after 120k miles of no AFM, 160,370 on the clock I got a lifter noise. The truck was in the body shop for 1.5 weeks and probably got started and moved 10 ft a dozen times......go and pick it up and it's ticking. The guy says " we see that sometimes, probably just need to drive it." Man was I PISSED!

So, I put some Seafoam in it and drove it home.....no change. Going to drop the oil and see if fresh oil, filter, and an oil additive an old master mechanic mentioned to me to see if it will help pump it back up. Will update later today when finished.

This whole thing really grinds my gears - I take excellent care of my vehicles and because of ******** EPA beurocrats and shit-eating bean counters we the people get stuck eating the poo sandwich.

So, I have 4 options:
1. Change oil and pray for good outcome
2. If #1 fails, then put in $2400 of parts and do it myself....
3. Have GM dealership do it for $5500 (having friends there helped on the price by dropping it $1200). Still A LOT of $$
4. Pick up a 65k mile 6.6L from a bone yard 1 hour from here for $3500 and do as another guy here did with his suburban - forgot his handle

Yay for emissions!!!!
I’ve had two lifters drop on me and I got them unstuck both times by putting a quart of marvel mystery oil in her and redlining it
By redline I mean pull out in 1st gear and peg the rpm then do the same in second for atleast a couple miles both times cleared it right up and she’s got over 400,000 on her now!

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Give it a hail mary rev up to 5-6K might clear it up worked for me once.
My buddy took a lifter tapping 4.8 and literally put a 5 gallon can of gas in it and put a brick on the gas pedal and walked away from it when she ran out of gas we put some more in her and she was purring like a kitten! He still pulled it out to swap in his built lq9 but my buddy threw that old 200k mile 4.8 in his Camaro and drove it another 4 years before he ever swapped it for a 6.2
I’d recommend the marvel oil in her before you do this though lmao
I actually started putting a quart of it in during each oil change and just stepped the oil up to 10w40 and it’s seemed to work for me thus far

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy took a lifter tapping 4.8 and literally put a 5 gallon can of gas in it and put a brick on the gas pedal and walked away from it when she ran out of gas we put some more in her and she was purring like a kitten! He still pulled it out to swap in his built lq9 but my buddy threw that old 200k mile 4.8 in his Camaro and drove it another 4 years before he ever swapped it for a 6.2
I’d recommend the marvel oil in her before you do this though lmao
I actually started putting a quart of it in during each oil change and just stepped the oil up to 10w40 and it’s seemed to work for me thus far
I been running Marine Stabil in my jawn the green sh*t