Exhaust Manifold Leak (Suspected): Tips, Suggestions, Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are various grades of stainless steel; I wish Dorman would specify more specifically what they're made of.
Well I'm 99% confident it's not in the same universe as the stainless I used to mill down into landing gear. They are probably at least 5% marshmallow mixed in with the iron, cobalt,and nickel.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I can't find what I'm looking for, but I also didn't realize what arp is calling stainless steel header bolts/studs is 170k psi. that's some specialty stuff, I'm not sure there's much stainless about that metal besides not rusting lol. but seem like good stuff. personally I'd like a hex tip to the stud to help install and removeal, they come in handy and a crimp style lock nut, and not huge fan of 12 point since I don't have any 12 point sockets. well a few. but they seem to be a high rated strong stud.

this more what I'm use to for stainless

"The hardest and strongest of the hex bolts

Despite the popular belief, a stainless steel bolt is actually weaker than a grade 8 bolt. In fact, according to the Society of American Engineers (SAE), grade 8 bolts are the strongest and hardest hex bolt you would want to use in constructions or the automotive industry. While the carbon alloy bolts have a proof load of over 120,000 psi, their stainless steel counterparts don't carry an indicative proof load. Moreover, the minimum strength of grade 8 bolts is around 130,000 psi, whereas stainless steel strength doesn't exceed 90,000 psi."

grade 8 being about metric grade 10.9. the dorman studs have a 10.9 grade nut on them, so I'd hope the stud is rated the same. they aren't stainless steel because a magnetic will pick them up, just plated with something so they don't rust. probably zinc.

so yeah, it seems what arp is calling ss is very strong by the psi they give out.

either way, totally your call. I'd get that stethoscope and see if you can find the leak. it could be at the collector forsure. from the video that can definitely be an exhaust leak as it seems to go away as it warms up and everything expands. I'd personally confirm before taking everything apart thou but if you don't mind the work and money, definitely can't hurt

I'm sure they want to balance out the threat of shredding the tiny threads in the cylinder head if they used super steel hardware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toobking