Dripping Molding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well "Louis" isn't all wrong. In addition to the moldings dripping for 2 days after washing the rear doors are retaining water inside! I had that with my 2010 also. One day I heard water sloshing. I pulled out 1 pin that holds the bottom door seal and water came out like a fountain. I had to do that yesterday on the new Tahoe. Same thing, water came pissing out. I have to get a look under the doors and see if there's a drain or something under them. Fighting a bad cold right now and didn't feel up to it but I also didn't feel a drain when I ran my hand under the door. Years ago GM used to put plugs in the doors that I popped out of my cars to open up the factory drains.

There are two drain holes behind the rubber weather stripping that get plugged up. I used a compressor with the nozzle I use to blow up pool rafts/toys, did that on a few occasions and the water shot out in a full stream but it contnues to get clogged. I was thinking of opening them up a bit......

OP
OP
raress9596

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two drain holes behind the rubber weather stripping that get plugged up. I used a compressor with the nozzle I use to blow up pool rafts/toys, did that on a few occasions and the water shot out in a full stream but it contnues to get clogged. I was thinking of opening them up a bit......

I have to look for that on both our Tahoe's. Thanks. I only have the truck six weeks but it was a 2012 leftover. Wouldn't think it would be clogged unless the truck was stored outside? I never looked that close on the 2010 when I had it. I don't think I'd want to drill them open wider because of the bare metal/rust issue.

OP
OP
raress9596

raress9596

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i'm a happy camper right now. I washed the truck today and couldn't stand the dripping coming out of the bottom of the doors especially the drivers side rear door. Popped off the rubber weatherstrip and lo and behold there's a plug/cap in the drain hole behind the rubber strip. Popped it off and it pissed a huge stream of water. Did all the doors and bottom of tailgate. Front doors have 2 in each. Back doors have one. Realized after doing one front and one rear is that all you have to do is pull away the rubber slightly and look up you can se the plugs and there's no reason to pull the strips off unless you want to clean behind them.

Ft W crew

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue water dripping from outside molding days later after wash or rain. I don't see how if there is even water in the door how it would be dripping from molding. The molding appears to be sealed up pretty good and there are end caps on the molding that seem to be pretty water tight as well. Would I be better off taking to dealership or just take them off and reapply them with doubled sided 3m. I am also going to check drain holes to make sure there is no water in the doors.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue water dripping from outside molding days later after wash or rain. I don't see how if there is even water in the door how it would be dripping from molding. The molding appears to be sealed up pretty good and there are end caps on the molding that seem to be pretty water tight as well. Would I be better off taking to dealership or just take them off and reapply them with doubled sided 3m. I am also going to check drain holes to make sure there is no water in the doors.

Hello,

I can help set up an appointment with the closest dealer when you are ready to visit a dealer. Please private message me.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.,
GM Customer Care

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rescurat